Does anyone keep Red Eye Tree Frogs?

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Im looking into setting up a vivarium and/or plaudarium. Im gonna make it planted and have a living bioactive soil with springtails and isopods that will help breakdown dead matter and also provide food for the frogs. Im gonna start with a 29 tall and add in a mister/fogger system to keep it consistent as far as humidity goes.

I would love to see some other set ups and hear about some others tanks as well. Fire away!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I set up a red eyed tank a few years ago for my son.They were very calm and would climb all over us when we'd take them out of the tank but I learned that it is best not to handle them.My main issue with them is that they are nocturnal and prefer to hide and sleep during the day.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I set up a red eyed tank a few years ago for my son.They were very calm and would climb all over us when we'd take them out of the tank but I learned that it is best not to handle them.My main issue with them is that they are nocturnal and prefer to hide and sleep during the day.
Krich how long did you have them? And did you just feed them small crickets for the most part? This tank is mainly so my wife can grow some nice orchids and plants. So the frogs aren't the main attraction. Once I get it figured out I would like to set up a plaudarium on a little bigger scale.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
We had them about a year and they ate fruit flies and crickets.My son got bored with them and I sold them.Interesting idea with the orchids and all and if I recall correctly the frogs don't really need a large area of water unless you intend to get into breeding them.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Gangsta, have you considered poison dart frogs, since they are diurnal?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What is diurnal mean? I was considering them but the retf caught me a bit more. Can the two species be kept together?
Diurnal is opposite of nocturnal. I'm not sure if the retf will try to eat the pdf or not. FYI, pdf are not poisonous in captivity....their toxicity is based on their diet in the wild

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Diurnal is opposite of nocturnal. I'm not sure if the retf will try to eat the pdf or not. FYI, pdf are not poisonous in captivity....their toxicity is based on their diet in the wild
Thanks xraycer xraycer Im looking more into the dart frogs for that reason then. The colors on them are so wild! Im gonna order a few of the remaining supplies I need today as well as a mister and my wife and I will hopefully be able to get it rolling by next week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store