1. Please clear out your caches and cookies and restart your desktop browser and mobile browser. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Dont do Stiphodon gobies.

Discussion in 'Lessons Learned' started by Theseabean, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Theseabean

Theseabean
    Expand Collapse
    MFK Members

Dec 30, 2012
    I bought a beautiful pair of S. elegans and I knew that they were vegetarians and that their diet consisted of algae, so I let algae grow in their tank for months, tons of it, even blue-green algae, which they like. The tank was very well established. They went through the algae in roughly three weeks, then they stopped eating altogether. I bought algae tabs i transferred algae from other tanks and nothing. The female died yesterday:cry: and I frantically moved the now alone male to a tank with more algae. I don't know what Ill do after that. Long story short I just don't see this species doing well in an aquarium setting, they're just to demanding, at least for me! At least I can say that I tried.

2. Antithesis123

Antithesis123
    Expand Collapse
    MFK Members

Jan 23, 2013
    I have 12 of them and I think they're great for an aquarium. I keep them with bb gobys, scarled badis, clown killi and bumphead gobys. I don't think they're bad for an aquarium at all. They have awesome little personalities and readily scavenge on anything, not just algae.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Theseabean

Theseabean
    Expand Collapse
    MFK Members

Dec 30, 2012
    Really? Mine just ate and ate and ate for a few weeks until it was all gone. I tried everything after that, frozen bllodworms, mysis shrimp, daphnia, live daphnia. algae tabs, i tried introducing algae. nothing. I guess it depends on the individual fish!

4. limz_777

limz_777
    Expand Collapse
    MFK Members

Feb 21, 2015
    blue green algae can release toxins to the water

Collapse Signature Expand Signature