Dovii Breeding Attempt..

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Haven't been able to locate a female dovii for my male, in fact my male is the only dovii i've ever seen for sale in my country so I tried adding my 7-8" female jaguar with him (14"). Kept her behind a divider for 2 days then took it out to see how they would get on, he chased her relentlessly, cornered her and bit her a few times which sent her scales flying.. I've put the divider back in, is this normal behaviour for a male wanting to breed? Is it because she's not a dovii? I really don't think I can sit and watch that happen to her. His tube was out while he was chasing her if this makes any difference?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Sounds like he doesn't want her in his tank.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
He's been in the tank himself for a week today. Might try keeping him behind a small divided part for a few days and rearranging the tank and let the female settle in first before releasing him into the main tank.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Cut a hole into the divider that only she can fit through if your set on crossing them.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
None of the fry will be sold or given away, I just want to see the big guy breed and raise fry and my female jaguar is all I have available to breed him with. If a female dovii comes up I'll buy it but that could take a long time as I've never seen another dovii for sale.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I've never bred parachromis before, how do I tell the difference between normal boisterous breeding behaviour and all out aggression?

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
mine are together and never divide them or separate. if they go into breeding mode the male will nudge her side and do like a shaking / posing posture. this is his way of saying are you in the mod lol.

well next week i'll take some out a grow them on and see if we can't get you a pure blood girl.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store