dovii spawning

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
A vid will help, is there nesting behavior going on? cleaning and sweeping a rock, lip locking? female chasing down the male when he leaves the nesting area? large body swishing back and forth, gills extended but not flared.

doviijag1988

Feeder Fish
Nov 11, 2015
nj
A vid will help, is there nesting behavior going on? cleaning and sweeping a rock, lip locking? female chasing down the male when he leaves the nesting area? large body swishing back and forth, gills extended but not flared.
Thanks for the reply and I'll post a video next time I see it happen. But yes the male swims close to the female and shakes his head and chases all other fish away. The male is approximately 5 inches and recently started getting vivid blue fins. The suspected female is actually a jag but is only around 3 inches jag do sent really respond to the displays of the dovii, I'm suspecting she may be too young for sexual maturity. The dovii was aggressive for the longest then out of nowhere began to tolerate the jag.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
my female jag spawned first time at about 6" and 8 months, her mate was perhaps 5" and about 6 months old, both WC.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
age is time from catch, no ideal how old they where before then.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
yes it can be, but not an absolute sign.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store