Dragonscale betta

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
My betta is pretty big at 7cm, at the lfs all the others barely scratch 4 or 5cm. Breeding is too much for me, i cant afford 2 more tank setups and brine shrimp and stuff

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
My betta is pretty big at 7cm, at the lfs all the others barely scratch 4 or 5cm. Breeding is too much for me, i cant afford 2 more tank setups and brine shrimp and stuff
don't buy a tank, get a long wide and low plastic tub; and a cheap culture of microworms, you can get some for a couple of dollars; and it's 10x easier than brine shrimp to cultivate

Reactions: J. H.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I know. I just dont know where in the world to find it. Also my mom might not like the idea of me breeding worms in my room or anywhere lol

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I know. I just dont know where in the world to find it. Also my mom might not like the idea of me breeding worms in my room or anywhere lol
You'll get a low tub anywhere, just a plastic type one you'd stick under the bed. I'll get pics soon for ya bud.

Also don't mention the worms to your mum lol, what she doesn't know won't hurt her haha, they aren't really visible either, so unless you described them to her; she wouldnt know.

Reactions: J. H.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Some bad news on my end, this batch of fry didn't make it; i feared the worst this morning when the nest looked lethargic, when I got home from work the male has abandoned it, and I can see no fry. May or may not try again in a couple of weeks, this time perhaps with a tub lid with holes in it to maintain humidity

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Some bad news on my end, this batch of fry didn't make it; i feared the worst this morning when the nest looked lethargic, when I got home from work the male has abandoned it, and I can see no fry. May or may not try again in a couple of weeks, this time perhaps with a tub lid with holes in it to maintain humidity
My Angels are just as bad when it comes to breeding. The thing I hate about it is that they were sold to me as a breeding pair...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I mean the worms lol, and she will find out.

My betta has it nice, he is in my cycling 70gal until i get my first fish tomorrow

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Sorry about your loss. Incidents like this do happen from time to time, especially with inexperienced males. Best you can do is continue trying to breed them, and hopefully the male learns to maintain his nest.

I recommend using Indian almond leaves when breeding bettas. I've had numerous successful broods when using the leaves. They tan your water with the release of tannins, which also lower the PH and makes the water more acidic. The bettas feel more comfortable (at least they look like they do), the nest holds together better, and the leaves will serve as shelter and provide infusoria for the fry.

Reactions: convict360

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Sorry about your loss. Incidents like this do happen from time to time, especially with inexperienced males. Best you can do is continue trying to breed them, and hopefully the male learns to maintain his nest.

I recommend using Indian almond leaves when breeding bettas. I've had numerous successful broods when using the leaves. They tan your water with the release of tannins, which also lower the PH and makes the water more acidic. The bettas feel more comfortable (at least they look like they do), the nest holds together better, and the leaves will serve as shelter and provide infusoria for the fry.
I already chucked 3 in recently lol, great minds :p

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Well good luck in future. If i got more pocket money i would definitely try this.
Also how do you trigger spawning?

Reactions: convict360
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store