Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Driftwood and a pressure washer.

Discussion in 'Setup and Filtration' started by Idealconcepts, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Idealconcepts

Idealconcepts MFK Members

Oct 2, 2012
      Ok, question regarding using a new pressure washer to clean a large piece of drift wood I got at Driftwood beach last weekend. The pressure washer has only been used once to rinse off our house, no chemicals have been used and I bought it brand new. I want to use the pressure washer to remove the sand, loose pieces of wood, and any gunk. After using the pressure washer I plan on soaking the water in the kiddie pool we used for the dog, for few days with dechlorinated water then rinse it off again with the garden hose. I can’t boil the wood because its about 3ft to about 3.5ft long and as thick as my thigh (I’m 5’11 and 175lbs). I still need to figure out which tank it will go in, I have a 180gal that I am building a stand for or it could be placed in an already set up 300gal. I’ll take a pic of the wood and post it.
      :)

2. Gr8KarmaSF

Gr8KarmaSF 1 is the magic number
      Staff Member

Jun 21, 2015
      sounds like a gud plan thou after the soaking you might want to pressure wash it again instead of rinsing with a garden hose just to be sure...

cant wait for the pic!

3. bill hundt

bill hundt MFK Members

Dec 26, 2014
      I read some place on how to treat wild wood (I made that up:screwy: ), wood not treated. They said to soak in bleach water solution for a day . wash resoak in water. Do not pressure wash at this time , you will drive bleach in to wood. They said the bleach would kill off anything live on the wood. If you want you can resoak in treated water with heavy declortion added , ie; seachems prime or what ever brand you use. If the wood is covered in junk you can treat it twice.

4. gomezladdams

gomezladdams MFK Members

Feb 22, 2015
      Pressure washer is a great idea.I know someone on this forum posted about doing that awhile back.Id put bleach or a salt solution in the pool for the soaking to kill anything in the wood

5. Clyde

Clyde MFK Members

Dec 28, 2011
      A question for thoose of you that seem to be in the know, why the emphasis on soaking in de-clorinated water? Meaning isnt the Clorine in water as volatile as bleach, and just disipate over time?

6. IITUFFTOBEATII

IITUFFTOBEATII MFK Members

Oct 11, 2012
      you're right, there is no reason to use de-chlorinated water

7. Boydo

Boydo MFK Members

Dec 20, 2012
      I'd soak it in salt aswell with tap water as the chorline will help kill parasites, bacteria, and bugs. I do this for a couple days to ensure everything get killed. The pressure washer works great, I do it to all my driftwood it makes it look better too.

8. HarleyK

HarleyK Canister Man
      Staff Member

Today at 2:17 PM
      What's your question?:D

9. Idealconcepts

Idealconcepts MFK Members

Oct 2, 2012
      Sorry HarleyK, forgot the question mark. Thanks everyone for responding.

10. GJC

GJC MFK Members

Oct 16, 2009
      I like to find some wood and sand blast it, after it's dry. Looks smooth and sexy :grinno: