Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

Driftwood and Cloudy Water?

Discussion in 'Setup and Filtration' started by kageh124, Apr 5, 2012.

1. kageh124

kageh124 MFK Members

Jun 6, 2015
      Could adding driftwood into a tank result in water cloudiness? I did my normal, weekly water change on both of my tanks and when I refilled it the water was a "tad" cloudy. I added the usual chemicals like I always do (stress zyme, water conditioner, etc.) Sometimes the cloudiness has happens to me so in the past, I just add some water clarifyer and within hours I'm usually OK. This time around it didn't clear up... in fact, after a day or 2, the tank became so cloudy that I could barely see the fish. The only difference this time was that I added some pieces of driftwood into the tank. Before I added the driftwood, it was sitting in water that was initially boiled for a few days. This actually happened about 2 weeks ago and my immediate solution was to take the wood out and do a water change. Since then, my water is back to normal but I'm temped to try to add the wood in again...

Has driftwood been known to cause cloudiness in water? What might I be doing wrong? I have a 125 and a 72 that I would like to use this in.

2. mainstreet

mainstreet MFK Members

Nov 25, 2012
      is the driftwood from a store or did you find it?

3. kageh124

kageh124 MFK Members

Jun 6, 2015
      I bought it from Petsmart... it was actually Reptile Driftwood.

4. MonsterPeacock

MonsterPeacock MFK Members

[V]onster
      Apr 17, 2014
      what color is your "Cloudy Water".. Sometimes drift wood will tint your water with a redish / brown look as it bleaches but that will typically go way after a month with regular water changes. I never seen drift wood "cloud" the water with a white cloud before... That sounds like a Bactria bloom to me.. Make sure when you do your water changes to turn your filters off and avoid running tap water through them before allowing the chems in your water conditioner to mix with your water before turning them back on.. Sounds to me like you may be killing all / most the "good bactria" during your water change and causing a Bactria bloom perhaps which will cause your water to Cloud up all white.. Just a thought! ;)

5. Raven20

Raven20 MFK Members

Russ
      Sep 17, 2014
      It's leaching a thing called Tannins...should make the water look like iced tea...i would take it out and keep soaking it in a 5 gal bucket....change the water in the bucket every couple of days..

6. MonsterPeacock

[V]onster
      Apr 17, 2014
      Yeah you can use that for your fish tank but it will usually get a nasty slim coat and smell bad for the first week or so. You can either take it out and wash off the slim coat or if you have a pleco, they love to eat it. It will be fine, give it a week or so. I have use this wood too and IME has happened.

7. F1 VET

F1 VET THE serrasalmus rhom

Bearded Alan
      Mar 16, 2015
      It could have lowered ur ph and buffering capacity and since its reptile wood it may not be aquarium safe. Test ur water, high nitrates means it could be bacteria bloom

#1 S. Vettel

8. kageh124

kageh124 MFK Members

Jun 6, 2015
      Thanks for the quick replies... it's all making sense and coming together now.

@F1 Vet - Is there anything I can do to make it "safe" other than boiling it?

9. MonsterPeacock

[V]onster
      Apr 17, 2014

It's already "Safe"...It just needs to leech out is all. Use a bucket or keep it in your tank and do water changes.

10. kageh124

kageh124 MFK Members

Jun 6, 2015
      How would I fight the potential of another "bacteria bloom?"