Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Driftwood for Plecos

Discussion in 'Plecos' started by rba718, May 20, 2008.

1. rba718

rba718 MFK Members

Jun 1, 2011
      Do Plecos really need driftwood? I have one piece left in my tank just for him but he never even goes near it and prefers to eat stuff like wafers and cucumber slices.

I'm asking because I have a problem involving it. I've boiled the piece of driftwood a number of times but it always lets out a ton of tannins unless I have plants in the tank. However, my plants always seem to die after about a month so I just want to take them out - I'm tired of picking out dead leaves and pieces of branches that are floating around! :irked:

2. rba718

rba718 MFK Members

Jun 1, 2011
      Still nobody?! :help2:

3. woodchomper

woodchomper MFK Members

May 13, 2009
      what plec is it?

4. Ianab

Ianab MFK Members

Aug 24, 2012
      Depends on the species.

The Panaque species do need wood in their diet, something to do with the lignin and roughage being needed for their digestion.

The Common and Pterygoplichthys species dont seem to need wood in their diet. They hide under it, rasp algae off it, and generally like it in the tank, but it's not vital.

Ian

5. MUNSTA

MUNSTA MFK Members

Jul 7, 2009
      I read that driftwood was good for plecos, didnt say what species though.

6. Neervana

Neervana MFK Members

Mar 10, 2014
      I put in a piece of bogwood for my gold nugget and he loves it, i see him grazing on it from time to time. try to get some of that instead of drift wood.

7. rba718

rba718 MFK Members

Jun 1, 2011
      My bad, it's just a common Pleco.

8. Ianab

Ianab MFK Members

Aug 24, 2012
      Dont worry about it.

Having driftwood in a pleco tank will do no harm, it may stain the water brown, and lower the pH a little, but that does no harm to a pleco.

I dont bother with plants in my pleco tanks, you need to set up the lights and water conditions to grow plants properly. And then big plecos usually bulldoze the plants anyway. So I just decorate the tanks with some rocks, pipes and driftwood and keep the light level low. Any brown algae that grows gets eaten by the plecos anyway. The lower light level suits the plecos, they are less shy, and doesn't seem to upset the other fish.

Ian

9. rba718

rba718 MFK Members

Jun 1, 2011
      My Pleco would bulldoze plants and what not too, another reason I was having probs with the plants. Thanks though!

10. theroque55

theroque55 MFK Members

Jun 18, 2013
      mine common seems to like being around the wood, wouldnt hurt to have some