driftwood

avzb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
south africa
Okay so I'v got my hands on two pieces of driftwood from the pet store the problem is its turning my water very yellowish and murky ,any idea what to do?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Those are tannins being released from the wood, quite normal.
Some wood will release tannins for a short time, some for months.
Just do water changes, and over time the tannins will be exhausted.

avzb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
south africa
Those are tannins being released from the wood, quite normal.
Some wood will release tannins for a short time, some for months.
Just do water changes, and over time the tannins will be exhausted.
Is there anything I can do before even puting it in the tank

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You can soak it in boiling water, changing the water frequently (if its small enough), and it will sometimes speed the process. It all depends on the type wood, and how saturated with tannins it is.
I sometimes soak large pieces in a rain barrel for a few months, if the piece is small enough, a bucket.

when I soak leaves, I will just boil water and pour it over then daily.

That said, the tannins are anti-bacterial, and the tea stained water is actually good for some fish (although not always considered aesthetically pleasing to an aquarist)
If you have wild angels, or other Amazonian black water species, it is desirable, and some aquarists pay for black water extract, to tint their water.

avzb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
south africa
You can soak it in boiling water, changing the water frequently (if its small enough), and it will sometimes speed the process. It all depends on the type wood, and how saturated with tannins it is.
I sometimes soak large pieces in a rain barrel for a few months, if the piece is small enough, a bucket.

when I soak leaves, I will just boil water and pour it over then daily.

That said, the tannins are anti-bacterial, and the tea stained water is actually good for some fish (although not always considered aesthetically pleasing to an aquarist)
If you have wild angels, or other Amazonian black water species, it is desirable, and some aquarists pay for black water extract, to tint their water.
Thanks that's a lot of help ,I'm going to try it out

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
DW still leak out tannish color effect (minimal) after all cure treatments other members suggested, I got alot of 3~4 years old DW and it still make my water slightly yellow tea color, I like it and my fish love it though, it's give more nature water look. If you want your water crystal clear look then use purigen/activated carbon to remove the color effect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store