Drilling holes in glass

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi all
So I have read the sticky and watched a load of online vids but I am still VERY nervous about having a go at this myself.
Who has drilled glass tanks successfully?
Who has had a disaster?
Who thinks I am crazy for thinking about it?
Who thinks I am crazy for worrying about it and thinks I should just crack (excuse the pun!) on and just do it?!

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Jim

Grab a cracked 20 gallon off used classifieds for $10. Drill 10 holes in it.

Slow and steady my friend and there is nothing to it. I totally get your apprehension, I was there before myself man. Tape the opposite side of the glass as a "catch". If you can flip it so you are drilling up to down that would be great because then all you have to do is put a circle of silicone to "dam" the water and this makes life a million times easier. If you can't you will need to rig up a hose to constantly spray the area. Even pressure, slow and steady, hell take an hour for a full hole if you need to. Once you get started your nerves will subside. If you feel the drill catch even in the slightest, stop immediately, take it out, clean what you need to, and go right back at her.

I know you, you will be fine.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Jim

Grab a cracked 20 gallon off used classifieds for $10. Drill 10 holes in it.

Slow and steady my friend and there is nothing to it. I totally get your apprehension, I was there before myself man. Tape the opposite side of the glass as a "catch". If you can flip it so you are drilling up to down that would be great because then all you have to do is put a circle of silicone to "dam" the water and this makes life a million times easier. If you can't you will need to rig up a hose to constantly spray the area. Even pressure, slow and steady, hell take an hour for a full hole if you need to. Once you get started your nerves will subside. If you feel the drill catch even in the slightest, stop immediately, take it out, clean what you need to, and go right back at her.

I know you, you will be fine.
Hi mate thanks for the reply. I know if I can have a practice I will probably be fine, just got to find something to practice on!!
I can turn the tank onto its end so that should help and the drill bits I have found come in a kit form that has a suction type reservoir with them that adjusts to the size hols saw you use, this can be kept full of cold water whilst you drill and keeps the drill bit in place which sounds like a good idea.
Think I am going to buy the set of drill bits then practice!
Cheers

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
make yourself a template out of plywood

use a copious amount of plummers putty to stick it to the glass

get a cheap and weak battery operated drill and a holesaw

tape the opposite side to prevent cracking when you get through and go slow.

should be a breeze :)

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I have drilled tanks up to half inch with no problem let the drill do the work lots of water and keep straight practice is a good idea. My first hole was threw 3/8 glass and second was the same tank with full with my pups in it. So just don't be scared

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
i have drilled glass before its not that hard... i used wood on each side and clamped them in place.. then alot of water and take your time... also do not put pressure on drill,, use minimal pressure and let the bit do the work

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
If you can use a drill press, it is much easier. Just go low and slow and it is easy to do. Plenty of water.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
It is easy. Even without a jig, a variable speed drill that is low powered.
Plumbers putty dam and

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store