Dying Ray

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
So sorry to hear. I've had a wild hen die on me the 2nd day, its never fun.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Thanks everyone, it was pretty brutal this morning, found her belly up barely breathing. Pulled her out and put her outside. Exactly 4 weeks today I had her.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ouch Mike. Poor girl. As corny as it sounds maybe she appreciated the one more day. Don't beat yourself up, sometimes there are blood diseases or genetic disorders that have nothing to do with your care of the creature. Mine went 26 days and everyone helped me throw everything I could at it, sometimes you just can't help it, doesn't only happen with fish either. Honestly man, that importer should have never sold it to you without getting it stable and plump enough to survive an adjustment period before he shipped it out. I feel that not enough care was put into the sale of this wild caught ray personally, I don't know the whole story and I am jumping to a conclusion, but that is my opinion.

Reactions: CANAMONSTER

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
Sorry for your loss. I experienced the same kind of thing once with a Leo pup. All you can do is chalk it up to experience; keeping rays, and especially getting new ones, comes with risks that are sometimes beyond your control.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
sorry to hear.
if you get another have some earthworms/nightcrawlers on standby just in case.
captive bred rays are generally a better option than wild ones if you are able to get one.
good luck with your future ray keeping

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store