EBA help in sexing

Godzilla1986

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2022
I have 1 electric blue acara wanted to know the gender of the fish.

it’s 2 inches

it’s vent came out today from the looks of it it’s looks female can anyone confirm ?

IMG_4940.jpeg

IMG_4941.jpeg

IMG_4934.jpeg

IMG_4931.jpeg

Last edited:

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Looks male to me, looks the same as my guy Casper

20190514_141443.jpg
Females tubes are a lot thicker to pass eggs.20190514_141408.jpg

Here I blew the area in question up someIMG_4941.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Yay was planning only to keep 1 is that okay or should I get a female ?
Getting a female brings it's own sack of goodies. Do you have a plan for the fry? A tank set up for fry as in lots of algea growth and or plants for the fry to graze on, or is your plan to separate fry and raise yourself?
Also you can't guarantee that the female you get will pair up with your male. Better to get several females and let nature take it's course.

I say let him be and give him a great home and turn him into a miniature Wet pet. Breeding just brings many more problems than needed unless prepared.

Godzilla1986

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2022
Getting a female brings it's own sack of goodies. Do you have a plan for the fry? A tank set up for fry as in lots of algea growth and or plants for the fry to graze on, or is your plan to separate fry and raise yourself?
Also you can't guarantee that the female you get will pair up with your male. Better to get several females and let nature take it's course.

I say let him be and give him a great home and turn him into a miniature Wet pet. Breeding just brings many more problems than needed unless prepared.
I do have all the things required but time is an issue so won’t get into breeding. If he is happy alone I’m fine.

I just want him to put on some weight so what do you suggest ? at the moment I’m feeding him discuss bio gold from Hikari and he loves it. I have blood worms as well.

He seems to be always hungry, is 3 times a day good enough or am I over feeding him.

He has 8 Danison Barbs as tank mates.

I haven’t kept cichlids so I’m a newbie in taking care of them.
I have kept over 6 Asian Arowana in 20 years of fish keeping. I have 3 other tanks but saw this guy in LFS an was like I wanted to have one.

Last edited:

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
All your doing sounds great. Best thing for growth is clean water. I do 50% or better water changes every three days and that's what I attribute my steady growth from.

Reactions: Godzilla1986
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store