EBJD coloring

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
I recently purchased an ebjd thats around 5". He was a donation to the LFS and I bought him the same day he was donated so the colors on him were not as vivid. I put him into the 120 community and its been about a week now that he's been in there and his entire body is still very dark and only brightens up during feeding time. Will he lighten up after more time or are some EBJDs just not as electric blue as others?

Will post pics soon

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Color depend on its genetic, I've seen a very dark blue almost black EBJD and those EBJD color won't light up in any cases.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
EBJD is final chain colected breed from Blue Gene JD pair or EBJD male/Blue gene JD female pair. I don't have picture on hand but you can easy google for picture and their color is huge different. Hope that help :)

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Yes I agree some are darker while some are extremely vivid. I never kept one over a black substrate and black background however I would think that would definitely cause it to be darker than would normally be expected. If he lightens up during feeding I would also think stress has something to do with the darker than normal dark coloration. Those two factors would lead to a fish that will most likely remain darker than you would expect or prefer. If it is not the dominant fish in the tank and is chased or bullied it will remain dark as long as it is stressed they don't hide their emotions well.

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
Yes I agree some are darker while some are extremely vivid. I never kept one over a black substrate and black background however I would think that would definitely cause it to be darker than would normally be expected. If he lightens up during feeding I would also think stress has something to do with the darker than normal dark coloration. Those two factors would lead to a fish that will most likely remain darker than you would expect or prefer. If it is not the dominant fish in the tank and is chased or bullied it will remain dark as long as it is stressed they don't hide their emotions well.
I never though of the substrate and background, Im going to try to move him into a tank with natural color substrate

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Or maybe I should ask if he even is an EBJD?
Oh, he's Electric blue alright. "Dark Phase",and yes... stress related display; to include his minimizing stress by blending in with the substrate. He's out in the open too. They don't like that. Give him some overhead cover of sorts... doesn't have to be caves - driftwood, floating plants (water hyacinth, water lettuce, riccia, duckweed, for example)
Here's two pictures of the same male EBJD taken only days apart - the "dark phase" is while he is stressed from guarding his newly hatched fry... same lighting... same substrate... same automatic camera... and damned near same angle and depth in tank too!
P060115_0306b.jpg
20150503_190507.jpg
I much prefer his non stressed look.

Last edited:
Reactions: ErikFromNJ
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store