Eheim 2260: Using a different return pump on it

maccy_g

Feeder Fish
Sep 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I run an Eheim 2260 filter on my 600l tank, for those that may not know much about these filters it consists of a very large bucket canister that holds around 18l of media with an Eheim 1260 (2260 lph) return pump on the top, this attaches to the bucket canister separately so can easily be removed - when you keep large, messy fancy goldfish this filter comes into it's own!

Now, I bought the filter second-hand, in fact the canister is so old it actually has "Made in West Germany" printed on the top! But it is solid and will go on for many years yet.

My concern is that the Eheim 1260 return pump on top is pretty old, it seems to work fine but it is rather loud (the chassis vibrates a lot) and it uses around 65w of electricity, it just seems a bit out-dated. I want to upgrade the pump but still keep the benefit of the large amount of media this filter holds.

I've looked into buying a more modern return pump, to be precise the Waveline DC6000 which although very powerful at 6,000 lph has the means of controlling the flow via a control unit so I could reduce the flow accordingly - this would give me the benefit of having a quieter pump using less electricity with the piece of mind that it won't break-down anytime soon.

My question is does anyone know if the Eheim 2260 can be "modded" this way? I can't see anything on the internet about people who have removed the 1260 pump and replaced with another, I can't see any real issue with it myself as I know the Waveline can be used externally.

Does anyone know of any reason why this can't be done that I haven't thought of before I go and order one of these pumps?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Seems quite doable as long as you get the right plumbing size for song fit.
Matter of fact, Eheim factory-modded the 2260 with a 1262 pump to create the 2262.

HarleyK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Seems quite doable as long as you get the right plumbing size for song fit.
Matter of fact, Eheim factory-modded the 2260 with a 1262 pump to create the 2262.

HarleyK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I was going to mention the 1262 pump. Not sure if there is any design difference but the way eheim makes their filters they pull water through it instead of pushing it through. This isnt good on most pumps (reason you always valve output instead if intake) and id be slightly cautious using off brands. That being said why not stick with eheim? Seem like they know a thing or 2 about reliability...

made in west germany. Thats only slightly dated. I may refer to that line every time someone wants comparison of fluval vs eheim cans. I checked around my house and have a rotary phone that may be about as old but nothing else electrical that has a lifespan anywhere close to that

maccy_g

Feeder Fish
Sep 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Yeah good point, thanks for your replies - if I can find a cheap second-hand Waveline I'll give it a shot, if it doesn't work out I'll sell it on and buy a new Eheim 1260 or 1262 pump to replace the rattling old one.

You are right about Eheim though, I think the filter may be older than me! Amen to Eheim, can't fault the Germans for build quality.

Thanks for the input guys - if anyone has any experience of fitting a different brand pump to an Eheim please let me know how you got on.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Maybe the rattle is a worn impeller. I would suggest taking it out for an inspection. An impeller would sure be cheaper than a new pump no matter who makes it!

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
If you want to put money into it, buy the quick release sets they have; makes cleaning filters much much more pleasant.

maccy_g

Feeder Fish
Sep 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Cheers guys, yeah got the double taps - an absolute must-have for the Classics, got them for my 2217 too.

Worn impeller is a possibility but it looked ok when I inspected it, the vibration seems to be chassis related, if I push onto certain areas of the pump as it's whirring away the rattling lessens significantly - having said that it might be worth powering it down, taking it apart and giving it a proper inspection & clean, impeller included

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If you press on the pump and the rattling is reduced, it is probably not an impeller problem. I have a couple of these filters and sometimes you can slightly loosen the screws that mount the pump to the mounting plate and this will reduce the noise. I would try this first before spending money on an impeller and shaft.

maccy_g

Feeder Fish
Sep 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, it's a year on but thought I would let you know I bought a Tunze Silence 1073.040 and managed to fit it onto the Eheim filter to replace the old, rattly 1260 pump.

The good news is it fitted on fine without the need for any extra pipes / fittings - great, bad news is that after around 40 mins of running the Tunze began leaking significantly from the impeller housing, first just small drips but quickly escalated to pouring so I was forced to power everything down and put the 1260 back on, dammit :-(

I then attempted to seal the housing tight using aquarium silicone, not ideal but I figured if I ever needed to clean the impeller I could cut through the silicone and then re-seal but anyway that failed also as it still leaked.

I've checked the Tunze pump thoroughly, the o-ring is still intact and fine and I can see no obvious reason why the pump would leak - so frustrating as apart from the leak the pump works really work on top of the Eheim canister, anyone have any ideas?

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I would try and replace the impeller to quiet the pump. If you are looking to increase flow, remember, push or pull, the gasket on the basket/tank is the weak link. My 2250 with the 1250 is super quiet....like, I have to touch the filter just to make sure it is running. Ehiem designed these filters around a pond filter and in fact, these were used for small ponds in the beginning....they are completely weather proof. The pumps used on these filters are completely submersible. High flow wasn't and isn't how these filters were designed. A 2260 is, however, more than adequate for your tank size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store