Eheim spraybar alternative.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I use Eheim's modular spray bar on my 2262s as well as 2080. As such, I simply added a vertical segment (goes where the Ted arrow is), so that the horizontal bar is that much lower, ie below the water level. Works great.
image.jpeg

Reactions: Woefulrelic

Bichisaur

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
Maryland
HarleyK HarleyK and D deeda are the eheim gurus I look to
Thanks for tagging them

I use Eheim's modular spray bar on my 2262s as well as 2080. As such, I simply added a vertical segment (goes where the Ted arrow is), so that the horizontal bar is that much lower, ie below the water level. Works great.
View attachment 1194290
So this extension is adjustable? Do I need anything else other than this modular spray bar?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
You will need to buy the correct size for your particular filter's output hose size. Which model filter do you have?

A cheaper option than the modular spray bar is to make your own using PVC pipe and fittings so that you can place a spray bar lower in the water column.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
It works beautifully if you have the modular spray bars already, or if you really like the clean looks.
As stated above, you can also DIY it with your existing setup, simply saw along the dotted line and reconnect with a suitably long piece of tubing. Tubing will age differently than hardplastic, and you'll have a DIY look to it in a year or so. But it's no less functional, and more customizable in length. The modular bar is defined by the length of a single segment.
image.jpeg

Bichisaur

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
Maryland
You will need to buy the correct size for your particular filter's output hose size. Which model filter do you have?

A cheaper option than the modular spray bar is to make your own using PVC pipe and fittings so that you can place a spray bar lower in the water column.
I have the 2262

It works beautifully if you have the modular spray bars already, or if you really like the clean looks.
As stated above, you can also DIY it with your existing setup, simply saw along the dotted line and reconnect with a suitably long piece of tubing. Tubing will age differently than hardplastic, and you'll have a DIY look to it in a year or so. But it's no less functional, and more customizable in length. The modular bar is defined by the length of a single segment.
View attachment 1194305
Thank you for your help, this is my 1st ehei and iv'e been using aquaclears and fx5

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Congrats for upgrading to Eheim.
You won't regret it.
Now you're stuck with it anyway, because that thing will last forever. :D

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
I don't want to come off as being or snarky, so please don't take it that way, but can someone tell me why there are now so many spraybar lovers in the hobby as of late?
You honestly don't need a spray bar, it's a gimmick. Don't get me wrong, they're okay to use if it came with the filter, but FAR from "necessary".

Here is all you need if the stock return elbow(without spraybar) isn't enough for you: http://www.aquacave.com/u-tube-outf...er-filters-reactors-and-scwd-wave-device.html

By using a spraybar, you are actually getting less flow through the filter, as well as adding additional piping /tubing inside the tank to have to look at. I never install my spraybars, I personally think they add more unattractiveness to the tank, but thats just my opinion.

YMMV

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Diffuses flow. Creates broader flow to better move particles. Works for me. Many other ways to operate, it's a free world.

Bichisaur

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
Maryland
Diffuses flow. Creates broader flow to better move particles. Works for me. Many other ways to operate, it's a free world.
Im thinking of adding a pvc pipe to lower the spraybar below the water surface, could you tell me the size of pvc I need for the return?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
There's print on the tubing, it gives you tubing diameter. You'll have to play around with finding fitting PVC because the tubing is often oval and metric.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store