Electric Blue CONVICT

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Midas Madness;3288886; said:
Nothing special, its either a hrp or a conxhrp hybrid.
If you read the thread that is linked in the OP's post you'll find that no HRP's were used...selective breeding of cons only.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Aqualoon;3288951; said:
If you read the thread that is linked in the OP's post you'll find that no HRP's were used...selective breeding of cons only.
He also mentioned it here.

2fast2slow;3288816; said:
but the funny thing that gets me is he says that he got this convict by breeding a female black convict with her grandfather which was a pink convict. So by the way he puts it, this convict has no HRP blood in it
I highly doubt the coloration was achieved by selective breeding. Especially since their close relative (honduran red point) show a lot of blue coloration. Its common to find hybrids of the two species, the breeder who claimed it was from selective breeding was either unaware there was hrp genetics somewhere or is just lying.

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
I've been a member over on CF for about a year and a half now, if not longer. I highly doubt he's lying, and if there is some HRP blood lines in his Cons then it must be unknown.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
I assumed he wasn't lying, it was just one of the possible explanations.

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
if you click the link, he calls it "a poor man's HRP", i.e., not an HRP at all . . .

either way, can we all agree it's a good looking fish?

I have a female convict in with my EBJD . . . should they ever happen to breed, I wonder if that would get me an Electric Blue Convict?

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Could also have A. siquia genes in it, as most of our pond raised, LFS brand convicts are probably a mix of 3 differant species. Certain races of siquia have lots of blue, and are sometimes sold a 'blue convicts'.

KevinO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2008
SOCAL
I wonder what would come of breeding that fish with a white convict. A white convict with blue fins and stripes?

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
MN
I think, could be wrong, but i think..... these are not hybrids crossed with HRP. THese are from line breeding. Somehow this generation comes out blueish. Almost HRP like.

LobstersGoPeenchPeench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Iowa, United States
i got a fish that has same coloring as that one from my lfs and they called it electric blue con and his dorsal fin is beautiful and is just a general nice blue... and on the tail there is a faint red
its completly blue tho no gray

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
The cichlid-forum member "TheFishGuy" you guys are talking about has decades of experience and is someone whose opinion I respect and his advice I would take. If he says they're line bred convicts, they're line bred convits. If you've ever had any contact with this guy or seen his work, you'd know he's legit and very knowledgeable. He is a truly dedicated hobbyist.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store