Electric blue crayfish eggs have turned into a light tan color

willjhorton@hotmail

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2023
Hello everyone

During a tank clean I noticed my electric blue crayfish had a load of black eggs under her tail. After noticing this I quickly did some research and it seemed isolating her was the correct procedure. I put her in her own tank with sponge filter and plenty of substrate and hiding places.

Her tank mates, when she was in the main tank, were one white and one red crayfish, I’m guessing she mated with the white crayfish because the red one just hides and isn’t very sociable.

However a week later I noticed some of her eggs were orange and fuzzy, clearly unfertilised and some of her eggs were light tan color.

Can anyone confirm if the tan color eggs are fertile or not please?

She hasn’t aborted them and is carefully aerating under her tail 24/7.

I’m seeing very conflicting information online:

-Light color eggs are infertile.

-Fertile white crayfish eggs have an almost white color.

-A white female that has mated with a blue male can have a light color fertile eggs

All I can be certain of is the orange eggs are unfertilised

Any information or advice highly appreciated

Picture1 shows the day I noticed her with black eggs

Picture 2 shows the eggs a week later (sorry for the unclear photo, it’s a screenshot from a video)

TIA

IMG_5881.jpeg

IMG_5974.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I don’t know about the orange, but my guess is that the white are no good. I would leave it be and see what happens with them.

Reactions: willjhorton@hotmail

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
You may be seeing them develop - looking back I think I remember the eggs getting lighter over time when mine bred (but I don’t know for sure). They could be close to hatching.

Reactions: willjhorton@hotmail

willjhorton@hotmail

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2023
After doing some research it seems you’ll start seeing the eyes of the babies in the egg before they hatch, no sign of any eyes yet unfortunately.

willjhorton@hotmail

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2023
Hard to know exactly how long she’s had the eggs, I’d guess maybe a week in the main tank and it’s been a week in her isolation tank, so roughly two weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store