Electric Current in tank - where is it coming from?

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Can anyone tell me what the difference in benefits is between GFCI outlets and GFCI breakers, other than having to go to the breaker box to reset a tripped circuit?
Location is pretty much the only diffrence. Ease of reset. (Do you have to move the couch to get to the outlet?)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Can anyone tell me what the difference in benefits is between GFCI outlets and GFCI breakers, other than having to go to the breaker box to reset a tripped circuit?
A GFCI breaker protects the entire circuit, so everything on that particular circuit will be protected. In some cases that may be a pro, in others a con. It all depends on the application, and depending on how ones house is wired, and the location of their tanks vs the panel box, each situation can be different.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
A GFCI breaker protects the entire circuit, so everything on that particular circuit will be protected. In some cases that may be a pro, in others a con. It all depends on the application, and depending on how ones house is wired, and the location of their tanks vs the panel box, each situation can be different.
I understand that much, I meant more from a safety standpoint or functionality in general, not just for tanks. Didn't know if one was quicker to respond, more sensitive, less likely to malfunction? Seems like it wouldn't hurt to have ALL circuits on GFCI breakers, but then again what do I know?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No major difference in overall safety, but generally speaking much easier to regularly test GFCI receptacles for the average consumer, than breakers. You simply push the test button, or use one of the plug-in style testers sold at most hardware stores. http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/electrical-testers/gfci-receptacle-tester-usa-made

Also, if ALL circuits are protected by GFCI breakers, then the entire circuit would trip off every time a slight variance in current was sensed, that could include ones lights. Not a great idea, especially when it's past sundown. :) Much better to simply protect those areas that require protection, where water is located, such as kitchens, bathrooms, receptacles located outdoors, fish rooms, etc.

I believe that the current building code in Canada requires that any receptacle within 1 meter of a damp location (sink, tub, etc) requires GFCI protection.

Also of note... I was referencing power station early design variants and not modern highly sensitive designs.
I was referencing what the average hobbyist has available to them, which in this scenario is all that really matters. GFCI's have been used for decades, and in both residential and commercial applications have been saving lives for decades.

A grounding probe/GFCI combination is pretty much the safest way to protect one from electrical shock when working around tanks full of water, that are attached to lighting systems, power heads, filters, heaters, etc.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
BTW - I use GFCI protected power bars in my fish room, so nothing downstream on the circuit is affected. These are very inexpensive and can be found at most local hardware stores, I think even Walmart carries them. Phil (Oddball) has posted pics/links in past discussions to some plastic containers designed to contain power bars in wet locations, which is another good idea.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/zzapp-be-careful.609741/

Just some really inexpensive low cost layers of protection that everyone should consider using in their fish room.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I originally used a "portable" GFCI that plugged directly into my outlet (as this is in my living room so I don't think there's anything protecting in the breaker box?). My powerbar for the tank then plugged into that. When my T5HO came on it would trip and I suppose the GFCI was doing it's purpose. I did have intensions to use one, but have not looked into why it was tripping and how I should address.

Any feedback on how to correct this would be appreciated while we are on this topic of protecting ourselves from electrocution.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Thanks for the link RD. I think I have some investigative work to do. Man, this hobby is never ending work LOL...

Sharing reasons for tripped GFCI per the link...

• wet electrical extension cord to tool connections - clear
  • wet power tools - clear
  • outdoor GFCIs not protected from rain or water sprays - clear
  • bad electrical equipment with case-to-hot-conductor fault - clear, likely not
  • too many power tools on one GFCI branch, resistive heaters - clear, verified plugging T5 light only
  • coiled extension cords (long lengths) - clear
  • poorly installed GFCI - clear, likely not since it was portable
  • defective or damaged GFCI - clear, tested with different portable GFCI (although I should have tried different brand/type?)
  • electromagnetic-induced current near high-voltage lines - Not sure, likely not
  • portable GFCI plugged into a GFCI-protected branch circuit - Hhhmmm, How to verify?

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Remove potrable GFCI, insert paperclip? Lol... JK, don't do that.
You're on the right track though...
Remove circuit breakers, install buss fuse holders, insert pennies!
Woohoo! Those were the days.
Good luck finding the parts to do this as I think they're gone to fossil. :p
They don't even make pennies like they used to :(

Reactions: FMA4ME
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store