Electrical Planning for a 220 freshwater aquarium

yellowfinfmb

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
when a pump blows the circuit breaker and trips you will be pissed and all your fish die that is why I run 2 pumps separate circuit and heaters on there own circuit because how much the fish cost and raising them doesn't compare to the cost of a 15 amp circuit blowing and everything dead. but keep in mind I have a 700 gallon tank so my fish cost a lot more

Caperguy99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
when a pump blows the circuit breaker and trips you will be pissed and all your fish die that is why I run 2 pumps separate circuit and heaters on there own circuit because how much the fish cost and raising them doesn't compare to the cost of a 15 amp circuit blowing and everything dead. but keep in mind I have a 700 gallon tank so my fish cost a lot more
Part of the issue is that my panel is essentially full.

I’m going to take a 15 amp circuit off the Generac pony panel - and rewire it over to a dedicated GFCI outlet which will be behind the aquarium. I wish I had space for two 20-amp circuits, but alas I do not.

From my calculations, I’ll be running a steady load of around 850 watts or 60% of the capacity of a 15 amp circuit. In addition, I’ll be periodically running an 80 watt Sicce pump during water changes - bringing me up to ~70% of available load.

Do you think that I will realistically be running into capacity problems with this level of usage?

IMG_3923.jpeg

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store