EMERGENCY

Aquaguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2008
my house
HI, I have 2 1.5'' EBJDs in my 45 gallon. I saw what I thought might be a parasite(white string-like thinks about 2mm long and thinner than a hair) of some sort in the tank the other day. so with the reccomendation of some members here I went out and bought jungles parasite clear. The directions ask that the ph is set fairly neutral. That checked out as well as my nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity,and everything else I could think of. The directions call for one parasite clearing tablet per 10 US gallon and to disolve the tablets in water before adding them to the tank which I did. I played it safe and added 4 tablets. This was last night. within 15 mins or so I noticed the EBJD acting funny. they would swim around in a panic almost then abruptly stop in a corner and stay there breathing heavily for a few minuites then take off again repeating the process. Now here is where I really get worried. The fish are acting the same a last night, But as soon as I woke up I noticed that the tank was considerbly cloudy esspecially towards the bottom and when I went to check the chemistry I found the ph to be in the high 8 range when before the parasite treatment it was around 7. WHATS GOING ON???? please help:eek:

BPags52

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
I'm no expert but I'm not so sure what you described are parasites...you may be unnecassarily treating your tank. Sounds like the meds are causing problems. It may be in your best interest to do frequent small water changes (you don't want that 8.0 pH to jump back down to 7.0 instantly, needs to be gradual to have least affect on fish).

Definately get a 2nd opinion from more experienced members though.

Aquaguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2008
my house
I would have to agree. I really don't think I had parasites,but wanted to play it safe. I just didn't think that it would mess up my fish. I just did a 25% water change. soo only time and water changes will tell. Oh and the ''parasites'' moved on their own like sub micro water worms.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
They are harmless nematodes. Your fish, if they are small enough, will eat them. Cut back on feedings to reduce their population if you don't like them.

BPags52

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
General rule of thumb is don't medicate unless you know exactly what the problem is, and make sure you use the right meds. Even with the right meds, it can stress fish, and its not gauranteed to work.

I would do daily 25% water changes for a few days and add carbon to remove the meds. Maybe even add salt as a general tonic/etc until things are back to normal.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
yep.

they are Planaria.

they're harmless. But they should alert you that you are either overfeeding, or not doing enough water changes.... or both.

Step up the water changes and cut back on feeding and they'll be gone in no time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store