Everything Brachyplatystoma platynemum thread!!!

maximus1006

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
ny
thanks rob and maximus the pics won't load on my phone but since it came from JA i'm sure it looks great I don't know if this is true for others but mine seems to be very tolerant of human presence she doesn't try to bolt if I come near the tank or while doing water changes like some other species i've kept

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mine swims in the front of the tank with no hiding or scared. He just downed 2 small pieces of talapia but the polys came out to eat so he spooked. But as he settles im shure he wont care

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
My slob got here on 3/15 from Jurassic Aquatics at 3" and was housed in a 20L with a Tig that was about 4.5" at the time. They got moved into a 40B about 4/5 and have 2 sponge filters and 2 AC110 HOB's. The water level is about 3" from the rim so the HOB's make quite the surface splash. In other words, this thing is way over filtered! I have seen no noticeable growth in the Slob in the 6 weeks he has lived at my house. He eats Tilapia and Massivore chunks. Finally I get to my question: Are these guys typically slow growers?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
An observation from this past week. I have my slob in a 40B with a Tigrinus that is about 5-6" long. Bare bottom, 2 sponges and 2 HOB dumping water above the surface. It is time for a vacuum and water change. The slob eats tilapia filet and pieces of massivore. When food is dropped in, he senses it in a few seconds and seeks it out. Yesterday and this morning he has had a hard time locating it. I will clean the tank today and see if he finds the food faster. I think the waste and uneaten food bits are confusing him and his sense of smell.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
I've owned a pair for more than a year. One is in a 180g/680l with a fluval fx5 and the other is in a 360g/1360l also with a fluval fx5.

They are sold as 747's in my area. A name I like.

I've noticed slow growth also. Mine eat sinking pellets, mackerel, herring, smelt, silversides, shrimp etc.

Ronaldo Barthem & Michael Goulding in their Catfish Connection book list the sizes of the then named Goslinia platynema (Babao) they caught over a 17 year period of data and field operations.

Most of the adult fish were in the 60 to 85cm range. Only one was 100cm and none over that size. Some suggest quite a bit bigger sizes are possible and I agree they may be right. However I feel most hobbyists will probably experience adult sizes comparable to Barthem and Goulding's averages when raising their fish.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I like the 747 name. It is more descriptive then slobbering cat IMO.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
These catfish are really cool and underated. Glad we had the chance to bring them in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store