exCichlasoma istlanum

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Nope, I'm waiting for a response, same as you =P I wanna know!

pckts

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
long beach Cali
Mine just died.
I had a Green Istlantum, he was probably 6 years old when he passed.
Between 11''-12'' with nice trailers and he was heavier than expected.
Great fish, not as owner interactive as an amph or parachromis in my experience but still a beaut and they are tough as nails.

Get him a female if you got the space, they'll get a nice hump for you.
Minimum of a 60 for an individual for its lifetime.

keep your water parameters very clean and maintain a healthy tank for them. They can be sensitive to slight changes in water as I found out the hard way.
All and all, I highly recommend it.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I'm late to the party I know..

I've only been able to get reds and can't get a female to survive with a male. My current male is about 6 months old and 4". I use a 75 with around 8 lamp eye tetras.

Growth rate= .5" month
temps = I keep mine at 80 - 8-2f with plenty of aeration
food = omega one color flakes and marine pellets. I would definitely use higher grade food like omega or nls.

Bloat wise they are extremely vulnerable at young ages. I recommend keeping them in a low traffic area, super clean water, feed lightly, and minimize stress. After 3" they get more hardy, but still more sensitive to stress so low nitrates is a must.
Extremely aggressive with other cichlids if you want a group you better keep them seperated. Mine have all been bold but needed dithers to not be skiddish until older. I would recommend a 75 for one and 125 for a pair to get normal behavior. All mine have been strains from the ones Joefatfish originally imported which have amazing colors.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Istlanum can be quite slow growing... and the male (of the Red strain) max out at about 10"... However they are extremely aggressive so care must be taken in what tank mates to add.... I currently have a few Neets in with my pair.
10257102_10203952347594606_1233813211552085592_o.jpg
Female

attachment copy.jpg Male

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store