Fail-Safe Lures

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I have had lures I have been using for over 30 years because they seem like they ALWAYS produce fish, even when nothing else seems to be working and I make sure I never leave home without them. I know everything pertains to location, species, water clarity, natural diet/local fauna/microfauna , etc etc, but WHICH lures do you guys swear by and never leave home without because they always seem to make things happen for you????

I will begin with a few of my favorites and most effective colors for my area:

#1 - Rebel's Crickhopper, Fire-tiger, Chartruese-mix, Natural or Yellow
***** a floater-diver which can be twitched, slow or fast retrieved and worked in practically any way you like. Small enough for Panfish but erratic and intriguing enough to attract the larger fish, especially Trout and Smallmouths. A highly versatile lure diving to about 3-5' , but can be worked through the shallowest riffles because of it's low-profile and it floats so it always returns to the surface if you stop a retrieve.

#1 - Rebel's Teeny-wee Crawfish, Natural
***** By FAR, the deadliest lure I ever owned for Smallmouths, since I 1st started using this lure in the late 1980's I have credited over a 1,000 fish to this lure/color. Tied for the top spot w/ the Crickhopper, and most of the same information pertains, the Crawfish weighs about a 1/16 oz heavier and comes w/ slightly larger trebles which I will replace w/ size #14 for Trout and leave the default hooks for other fish. Anyone who owns one already knows the hype.

#2 - Yakima/Worden's Roostertail, color pertains to season, all colors effective
******Another heavy producer, especially in early Spring when the water is too cold for many fish to be active, but also great in the hot Summer months when fish are lazy as well. There is a size for nearly every fish, although the larger sizes can be difficult to find as a lot of people simply move up to Mepp's Musky Killer or Giant Killer or an Aglia at that point.

#3 - Strike King Crappie Spin - color pertains to season, all colors effective
******* a mini-sized Spinnerbait that is heavy enough to cast w/ stout tackle, but light enough for UL tackle, it will catch any fish that larger spinnerbaits will attract, smaller and medium ones and is also a great tool for tricking those big stubborn fish who have been ignoring the larger spinnerbaits previously. Works splendid w/ a trailer, like a split-tail eel or a spring-grub for added bulk. My Uncle SHOCKED me by using one to catch a 6lb+ Largemouth in a small farm pond while they were all avoiding every other bait, including live shiners......may he R.I.P.

#4 - Berkley Powerworms - Pumpkinseed, Chartruese, Motor oil, Purple/black, Natural
****** as with any lure, the color you use depends on the water clarity and the amount of sun (or moon) currently, but those colors always seem to work no matter what for me, a 6" worm rigged on a Spider-Sliderhead or Weedless Sliderhead works wonders when retrieved at a snail's pace through a hole ( as long as you found the fish), but Texas or Carolina rig is also effective. Personally, I prefer no weight at all and simply rig it w/ a a Tru-Turn hook, weedless and twitch and work it accordingly - 75% of my strikes occur the moment it hits the water or 30 seconds after when fished this way. Wacky-rigged is also a favorite of some. Any way, the scent Berkley impregnates them with really works, and will catch fish anywhere you find bass.

"Runner's Up" #5 - A Silver Spoon, it is what it is.....one of the oldest lures in existence, simple, basic, deadly - troll it, rip it, vertical jig it, do it how you want, one of the most versatile lures on Earth. Daredevel, Kastmaster, and Gator are among my favorites.

#6 - Rapala Jointed Floating minnow, Rapala Shallow Shad Rap - If it's one company who makes quality lures, Rapala is still on top after all these years. These 2 lure types will produce when you need it and have triggered strikes from some of my biggest lunkers.

#7 - Panther Martin, Mepp's, Swiss Swing and Blue Fox - Need a good quality Spinner? These guys are at least top 5. Mepp's hold's various world records, including George Perry's 24lb 4oz. Largemouth. 'NUFF SAID.

#8 - Arbogast Jitterbug/Hula Popper, Heddon Torpedo/Zara Spook, Moss Mouse/Frog - When you need a topwater lure, few can compare to these classics. There is another company (I forget who) that makes a hard-bodied floating mouse w/ weedless wire-guards that is also an amazing topwater lure.

#9 - Blakemore Roadrunners, Beetle-Spin and In-line Spinners w/ Spring-grub trailers - any of these 3 variety of spinners w/ a yellow or chartreuse spring grub seems to fool fish in many instances. Keep 'em handy and you'll thank me.

#10 - Storm's Wiggle Wart, Flat Wart, Wee-Wart, Steelie-Wart, Bomber's Thunderstick, Deep Thunderstick, Long A, Deep A, Hellbender, etc ; 2 more companies that really know how to make lures that the fish want, both Storm and Bomber's large assortment of Crankbaits offer a variety of fish-magnets that should be kept in every Fisherman's tacklebox, for Fresh or Saltwater.

Ok guys and gals - what do you like to toss in your neck of the woods?? :D

Last edited:

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
For LMB or SMB wacky rig all day long. Generally I like to throw a watermelon color.

Trout I always carry RS2 and BH prince nymph

Salmon always gotta carry egg sacks

I could go on forever for all the fish I target lol

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
For LMB or SMB wacky rig all day long. Generally I like to throw a watermelon color.

Trout I always carry RS2 and BH prince nymph

Salmon always gotta carry egg sacks

I could go on forever for all the fish I target lol
Go ooooooooonnnnn, please *waits patiently with hands folded*

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Spoons for bluefish, whacky rigged worms for bass, curlytails for sunfish. Cant beat it.

Swimbaits and spoons are also fantastic fish finder lures, when you're trying to locate fish before throwing a more targeted offering.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Spoons for bluefish, whacky rigged worms for bass, curlytails for sunfish. Cant beat it.

Swimbaits and spoons are also fantastic fish finder lures, when you're trying to locate fish before throwing a more targeted offering.
You guys can feel free to set it up like the same layout I did, that was why I took the time to do it - encourage others to follow suit. I'm looking for specifics and detail.....every lure company makes this and that but not all of them are effective. I would never use a South Bend Spinner if I have any of the others I mentioned, just like I wouldn't use a Cotton Cordell if I have the Bomber version of that model and so-on

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
oh come OOOONNNN, Ace!!! You never use artificials when targeting gamefish????

What kind of fake worm are you catching bait with??
Lol just the standard rubber worn to catch blue Gail and sun fish to catch channel cats mainly.

For even bass I use real worms to catch them. I don't fish a lot maybe 6 times a year if even that. I used to go a lot and catch pretty much everything but been busy lately.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Lol just the standard rubber worn to catch blue Gail and sun fish to catch channel cats mainly.

For even bass I use real worms to catch them. I don't fish a lot maybe 6 times a year if even that. I used to go a lot and catch pretty much everything but been busy lately.
Live bait is IS really hard to beat, but it hasn't been working for me lately, so my tacklebox got some exercise. You're definitely thinking "catch as big of and as many fish as possible" and i'm usually on the same page, but aside from one 3lb, 18" Smallie a few weeks ago, I haven't caught ANYTHING on live bait except.....BAIT lol I 'm all about it though ...i'll take creek chubs, suckers, shiners, killifish, darters, sunfish - all that stuff and go turn it into a 40 lb'er the next day.

How about some more replies - pops pops Oddball Oddball Evz jardini Evz jardini [/USER] D davenmandy MN_Rebel MN_Rebel divemaster99 divemaster99 ECW ECW Wailua Boy Wailua Boy kno4te kno4te Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid T Timpon thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter cichlid fiend cichlid fiend T Thekid spotfin spotfin Covetous Covetous

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store