Favorite Fish to Target

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I know there's a lot of fellow fishermen here and out of curiosity as well as seeing how everyone has different opinions, what are your favorite types or species of fish to target?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I'm a devoted Trout angler (for either stockies in the spring at home, steelhead and monster Browns in the tribs of erie or trolling for them in open water, monstrous Lake Trout in open water, and wild brook trout in the scenic streams of north central PA) and love them because the only fights in freshwater that can rival a big steelhead or laker are from a musky, pike, drum, big flathead cats, or large buffalo. Building off of that, I also love fishing for musky and pike which I just recently started doing and already love equal as much as trout fishing! (Freshwater) Drum are also another favorite target of mine regardless of their false reputation as being junk (which they're absolutely not!), they're one of the most underrated local species and even a 12"r will peel drag on screaming runs, and 30"+ ones are back breaking fights!

In addition to all those species, I also love fishing for Bass (Blacks, Whites, and Stripers), Walleye, Catfish, Carp, Suckers (especially big Buffalo and Redhorse), Perch, Sunfish, and honestly any fish that I can catch, I will target at some point :). Although those first three I listed are my primary targeted and favorite fish. So what are your's?

Reactions: Frank Castle

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I go for anything haha, whatever the spots good for. I tend to target bass and catfish mostly though, I feel the best fights come from those 2 species. Striper are fun too but only if I catch them by mistake haha, to much work tracking the schools and finding which baitfish they are hunting etc etc.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
1) Rainbow Trout
2) Salmon (f we had more of these they MIGHT be 1)
3) Pike
Just curious but how is the run going up there?

1.) big cats
2.) brown trout
3.) king salmon

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Just curious but how is the run going up there?

1.) big cats
2.) brown trout
3.) king salmon
Run is doing alright. A couple early steelhead already but some nice chinook being caught. We caught a 12 lber loaded with eggs. Going out this weekend hoping to hook into something silver, night shift casting, morning shift bottom bouncing.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Run is doing alright. A couple early steelhead already but some nice chinook being caught. We caught a 12 lber loaded with eggs. Going out this weekend hoping to hook into something silver, night shift casting, morning shift bottom bouncing.
Let us know how you do! Erie has some fresh chrome in the tribs but not enough that is classify it as a good run, yet :). I swear right now there's twice as many people as there are fish! Two more weeks hopefully it'll be time for some steelie and brown action!

cichlid fiend

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
New Jersey
Lmb...it's just something about trying to figure them out on a daily bases...I love it !!! FISH MORE~~~~STRESS LESS

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
At the moment, snakeheads. It's new to me. They got a mouth full of teeth, super aggressive, and are known to destroy your lures. So far, I've caught striatas. Next on my list will be maculatas and giant snakeheads. These are the species in Taiwanese waters. I'm going to go fishing for them as much as I can before I have to return to California.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store