Featherfin Eyes Bulging And White

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Hi,

I just noticed today that one of my Featherfin has bulging eyes and they seem milky.

My other Featherfin is normal.

the affected one is eating fine, acting normal, doesn't seem to have any issues.

Nothing else in the tank is showing bulging eyes.

Any clues?

Thanks

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Use one tea spoon of Epsom salt in a five gallon bucket of tank water bath the fish for 30 mins. If you have or can get methylene blue you could add one teaspoon to the bath. This caused by fluid uild up behind the eye the epsome salt will draw the fluid out and release the pressure.

This symptom is usually the result of a bacterial infection, caused by deteriorating water quality. I would test your water, ammonia, nitrite & nitrate hardness and tds if possible. Do a very good substrate vacuuming, clean your filters this is important. Stepping up water changes in the future will help too.

Back to the fish, most eye infections are gram positive caused by streptococcus or some other related bacteria. The first medication (other than the above mentioned bath) I would use is erythromycin. After the initial bath above and tank maintenance, do a twice daily 30 min bath in a bucket of tank water using the erythromycin dosed as per package instructions for 10 gallons of water. Do this for 5 days. If you see no improvement in 3 days let us know and we can switch meds, this, however will work most of the time. It is important to keep the main tank as clean as possible during treatment. Hth.

Reactions: convict360 and 4D3

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Use one tea spoon of Epsom salt in a five gallon bucket of tank water bath the fish for 30 mins. If you have or can get methylene blue you could add one teaspoon to the bath. This caused by fluid uild up behind the eye the epsome salt will draw the fluid out and release the pressure.

This symptom is usually the result of a bacterial infection, caused by deteriorating water quality. I would test your water, ammonia, nitrite & nitrate hardness and tds if possible. Do a very good substrate vacuuming, clean your filters this is important. Stepping up water changes in the future will help too.

Back to the fish, most eye infections are gram positive caused by streptococcus or some other related bacteria. The first medication (other than the above mentioned bath) I would use is erythromycin. After the initial bath above and tank maintenance, do a twice daily 30 min bath in a bucket of tank water using the erythromycin dosed as per package instructions for 10 gallons of water. Do this for 5 days. If you see no improvement in 3 days let us know and we can switch meds, this, however will work most of the time. It is important to keep the main tank as clean as possible during treatment. Hth.
Thanks for the advice, I have tried the epsom bath, it's helped a little bit.

I'm in Australia, I can't get the mycin based product, I have available, metro, doxycyline, amoxycillin, and tetracycline...

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Go with the amoxicillin. Treat in a hospital tank, grind up a tablet add enough water to just wet it and soak some pellets about 15 mins. Feed to fish, once a day for 7 to 10 days. Keep us posted.

Reactions: 4D3

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Go with the amoxicillin. Treat in a hospital tank, grind up a tablet add enough water to just wet it and soak some pellets about 15 mins. Feed to fish, once a day for 7 to 10 days. Keep us posted.
I didn't have a hospital tank, shouldn't I treat the other fish with the food as well?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Amox is gram positive and will be very hard on your beneficial bacteria so keep a close eye on your water parameters.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
That's good news, glad to hear it worked out. Good job.

Reactions: 4D3
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store