Feeding Paracyp juvies

Life Liberty Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Colorado
I just got a group of 8 Paracyps in my tang tank, all at about 1.25". Thus far I haven't had much luck getting them to eat. I placed them with my featherfins because they have pretty similar dietary needs, but they show pretty mild interest in crushed flake. By all means, they'll eat what floats in front of them, but they do not seek it out. They are pretty new to the tank still so, of course, stress of shipping is definitely relevant here, but I'm still concerned. I have tried a brine shrimp/spirulina frozen blend too but it appeared the brine shrimp were a little large for them. Do you think it's worth trying baby brine shrimp? My concern there is that the my nasuta group will be uninterested in something so small, so if the paracyps don't gobble it up it will just go to an ammonia spike. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Your fish are still new and could just be going thru an adjustment period. I used to breed cyprichromis and paracyprichromis and never had a problem with them eating flake food. Perhaps you can contact the seller and find out what they were eating.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Your fish are still new and could just be going thru an adjustment period. I used to breed cyprichromis and paracyprichromis and never had a problem with them eating flake food. Perhaps you can contact the seller and find out what they were eating.

Life Liberty Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Colorado
I have already gotten a hold of his flake food. He is a relatively large seller and makes his own food which the nasutas and all of my haps love. Glad to hear it's most likely the adjustment period. I went through a similar problem with my WC Nasuta group when they first came in, but I thought I'd double check. Appreciate the help

Life Liberty Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Colorado
Coincidentally they left their corner of the tank tonight to scan the top for flakes so it looks like you're right. My only other concern was that they've stayed primarily against the top of the tank up against the back wall when I expected them to flock to the slate caves. Is this a normal behavior with them, or do you think this has to do with stress? I do have two very active syno. multis in with them that frequently speed through the tank. Do you think the paracyps would be better off if I put the multis in my other tank or can they pair alright?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store