Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Feeding piranha mudpuppie?

Discussion in 'Piranha' started by native, Feb 15, 2012.

1. native

native MFK Members

Jun 11, 2014
      Would I be able to feed my red belly piranhas a small mud puppie without and harm to the piranhas? Do mudpuppies have spines, poison, disease or parasites that could be transmitted to fish. I got the mudpuppie at a bait shop btw it was with the fathead minnows

2. Owain4

Owain4 MFK Members

Jun 13, 2014
      I assume that its not a mudpuppy its actually a round goby, if it was found with native fish. They may have spines, you might be able to see them just by looking at the texture of the fins.

3. MN_Rebel

MN_Rebel MFK Members

Today at 11:37 AM
      It would be impossible for a round goby show up in bait stores since the laws do not let bait collectors to collect bait from any water bodies that has invasives. It was probably young tiger salamander.

4. native

native MFK Members

Jun 11, 2014
      Tiger salamander larvae looks like it.

5. Oddball

Oddball Paleoaquarist
      Staff Member

Today at 6:11 PM
      Tiger salamanders secrete a mild toxin that is usually not harmful to humans. Have no idea how the toxin may affect your Ps. But, you have to figure that the sals developed their toxicity for a good reason.

6. docturtle91b

docturtle91b MFK Members

Apr 21, 2015
      Yeah I think I would avoid feeding the salamander to the fish if I could. Depending on the species some pack pretty nasty toxins.

7. luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills MFK Members

Yesterday at 9:33 PM
      I wouldn't count on that. You'd be surprised at how many "uncollectibles" show up in bait shop tanks! ;)

8. MN_Rebel

MN_Rebel MFK Members

Like I said the laws do not allow bait collectors taking minnows out of the water bodies where the invasives existed. Technically it is really impossible for a round goby to show up in bait stores due to the laws.

On other hand, some oddballs do show up in the bait shop tanks but they are usually not invasive species like round goby and ruffe.

9. luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills MFK Members

Yesterday at 9:33 PM
      I'm not saying it should be expected, but it isn't impossible. Laws do get broken, even unintentionally. The law doesn't stop the breaking of it, it only provides for the punishment to follow its breaking. I'm not trying to nit pick or start an argument or cause anyone to think that if they look hard enough they'll find one, just that it's possible.

Not desirable, not likely, just possible. It might be our different areas but I've seen some really surprising things in bait shops and aquariums stores over the years.

10. MN_Rebel

MN_Rebel MFK Members

Yes the laws do get broken but there are no evidence that round goby and other Great Lakes invasives show up in the bait stores. The last thing the bait collecter want is a game warden waiting for them at the infested water bodies, give them fines and have their collecting permit provoked.

Also I do see lot of surprising things in bait stores and aquarium stores too, however round goby isn't one of them.