Feeding with lights on??

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Does anyone practice or tried to feed your poly with lights on, if so what is the outcome??
Do they eat more or less?? Do they even get bother with the light, i know poly's are noctural, but has anybody got a success on feeding them for life with lights on??

Champagne Papi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
Depends on how hungry they are sometimes they are shy sometimes they aren't. Out of my 11 6 will eat as soon as the food hits the sand my other 5 wait awhile I'm trying to break that now. If you starve them for like 2 or 3 days they'll all eat. I got a 4 inch skinny retro in there so I can't take that chance

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Depends on how hungry they are sometimes they are shy sometimes they aren't. Out of my 11 6 will eat as soon as the food hits the sand my other 5 wait awhile I'm trying to break that now. If you starve them for like 2 or 3 days they'll all eat. I got a 4 inch skinny retro in there so I can't take that chance
I have some 3" polys with some 5"-6" polys so i dont try it. But sometimes i try to feed them in the morning when i turn on the lights, i just drop a few massivore pellets and see if they will eat it, but mostly the once that eat it are just my sen. My ornate, endli & del dont even touch it, not like night time they eat all the pellets. It would be nice to show my wife and kid how they eat. They never seen them eat with the lights on.:(

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Depends on the fish, I used to feed at night, but now al my poly's are adults, I just feed during the day, they wake up quick enough once I add food.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Does anyone practice or tried to feed your poly with lights on, if so what is the outcome??
Do they eat more or less?? Do they even get bother with the light, i know poly's are noctural, but has anybody got a success on feeding them for life with lights on??
Lights on : eats less. Some large lower jaw ploys won't start eating until it's dark.
Off : eats all. Better results.

If hungry such as couple days or more.
Lights on : most will eat until full.
Lights off : go to the store to buy more food.

This is my experience. If they haven't been fed for more than a day and half. Certain ploys will be more active and swimming around side to side. Also, less will shy away when u walk up to the tank.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Mine for the most part eat with the lights on but it depends if i fed the day prior. If i did or happeed to feed heavy during the last feeding they will be slow to eat with the lights on.

Endli dabola wont pellets with the lights on.

I feel like its conditioning too. My cb endli normally could care less but latley ive gotten lazy amd just feed at night and they have gotten used to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store