Felix

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Do you know your synos well? Not saying anything except I've been seeing several threads each year for several years on Planet Catfish where experts have a tough time with granulosus. The fakes / hybrids are getting pretty close looking, it appears to me.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Do you know your synos well? Not saying anything except I've been seeing several threads each year for several years on Planet Catfish where experts have a tough time with granulosus. The fakes / hybrids are getting pretty close looking, it appears to me.
Yes i am well aware. Not much else you can do other than go by price and what the LFS tells you. They had plenty of hybrids but this one i was told is wild caught and they tell me was supplied to them by a very reputable supplier. With the price tag and info they gave me along with the white whiskers and other markings typical of a geniuine Granny, i have no reason to not believe this is a pure Granulosa.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Don't get me wrong - I want to believe your LFS and you are right. And, if anything, I think you are right but I don't know granulosus that well, neither the pic is ID-friendly.

The due diligence clause would argue "post it on PCF with good pics for a possibility to eliminate any doubt at all".

Needless to say, feel free to ignore :)

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I wasn't aware grans were being bred with something else. What is it and does the hybrid look like a gran?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Last edited:

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Well i thought this may sparl a little contraversy! When he/she is settled well and i can get some decent shots i will post them here and on PCF

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store