Fessssstae??!!

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
Are these Festae? Or Mayans?

And they are a male and female, right?

They are living with just a Con in a 75 right now. The golden one (male) is about 7" and the other one, which i hop is female, is about 5.5"

Also, could they live in the 75 for their whole life? I know they will at least have a while as they slow down a lot after they hit like 8-9"... But unless i unluckily get a very large-growing male, they should ne ok in te 75 with a divider handy, right?

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
Are these Festae? Or Mayans?

And they are a male and female, right?

They are living with just a Con in a 75 right now. The golden one (male) is about 7" and the other one, which i hop is female, is about 5.5"

Also, could they live in the 75 for their whole life? I know they will at least have a while as they slow down a lot after they hit like 8-9"... But unless i unluckily get a very large-growing male, they should ne ok in te 75 with a divider handy, right?
I maybe should posted the pictures lol... Sorry for being a derp.

image.jpeg

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Think a 75 might be on the small side long term. Not saying it's impossible, but most members here are going to give you crap for it. Recommend something more along the lines of a 125+

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
A fully grown male festae is a big powerful fish that can reach 16 inches in length. They are also bulky deep bodied fish and can be extremely aggressive. I would recommend an 8x2x2 for life for a pair.

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
Think a 75 might be on the small side long term. Not saying it's impossible, but most members here are going to give you crap for it. Recommend something more along the lines of a 125+
Yeah... Probably. If the space allows, i will. But i know that they arent super fast growers, so i should be fine for a year or so, at least... The giant 16"+ fish are all like 5 years old...

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
A fully grown male festae is a big powerful fish that can reach 16 inches in length. They are also bulky deep bodied fish and can be extremely aggressive. I would recommend an 8x2x2 for life for a pair.
That seems very excessive to me. If an Oscar, which can get up to 14 inches regularly, can live in a 75, then why cant a Festae?

Really the only difference between a breeding pair and a wet-pet is the bioload. Because there isnt territories, the male just owns the tank. And the females are never as big. As long as the female has places to hide and i do my water changes, how is it that much different than a 14" Oscar or RD?

And yeah, they cant get 16 inches, but they are slow growers that dont always get that big. So i will say 14, as a size they will pretty mich always reach.

Rodders02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Perth, Australia
That seems very excessive to me. If an Oscar, which can get up to 14 inches regularly, can live in a 75, then why cant a Festae?

Really the only difference between a breeding pair and a wet-pet is the bioload. Because there isnt territories, the male just owns the tank. And the females are never as big. As long as the female has places to hide and i do my water changes, how is it that much different than a 14" Oscar or RD?

And yeah, they cant get 16 inches, but they are slow growers that dont always get that big. So i will say 14, as a size they will pretty mich always reach.
They need a bigger tank as a pair firstly because they are a very aggressive fish and the female needs places to hide from the male and they also produce more load etc. I think an 8x2x2 is a bit excessive no need for that length maybe something 6' long and atleast 18" wide imo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store