Festae male or female?

utku982

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2014
İstanbul
I got 4 festaes from the same breeding and need to find out their gender. Any comments appriciated.
The biggest one. about 5-6 inches. Territorial and digging its owned area.
DSC03037.JPG
This one is about 5 inches. Territorial digging its own area.
DSC03046.JPG
4 inches
DSC03031.JPG
Little bit smaller than 4 inches
DSC03028.JPG

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I think 1 and 2 are female. 3 could have the best chance of being male but lighting is not very good so the fish is hard to see. 4 is entirely to young

utku982

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2014
İstanbul
I thought that the bigger and coloured up 2 fish are both males becouse they grow faster and have high body. However they are showing the colors of a charecteristic female. Third 1, when was not stressed showed greenish colors on body so its possible to be male.

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
First 2 pics are female, 3rd pic is male, 4th is female.

If you notice the tail spangling, the 3rd one is the only one that is retaining all of it which implies male.

All the others are losing the spangling which happens to females around the 4 inch mark.

These are not the only indicators of course, the more obvious is the colors. But because the last 2 didnt have much color I looked for the spangling.

Awesome fish you have there BTW. Festae have not bored me yet. Even of they were as popular and widely available as Oscar fish, I would still prize them!

Last edited:
Reactions: utku982

utku982

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2014
İstanbul
Thx for the comments. Its very interesting that the females grow faster and being more dominant. I was about to sell 3rd and 4th. Luckily l was warned about that. But the females are so beautiful to sell too.

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
Dominant character varies from fish to fish.
Growth too is dependant on various factors , but in the long run , the males will grow bigger and chunkier

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Seems to me growth rates between males and females of most cichlids is consistent, up until the point females mature and begin egg production. At that point the females energy becomes focused less on growth (at least temporarily), and more on eggs.
I agree the 1st 2 shots look female, and the 3rd male, but hard to tell on the 4th shot.
The dorsal has what appears to be a dark area (which is a female trait).
But in some cases, in a situation where there are 2 males and 1 is a smaller less dominant one, it may adapt female appearance as a protective strategy.
Once mature, male festae (as many cichlids of the tribe Heroini do) will often grow exceedingly larger than similar age females. Examples below

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
First 2 pics are female, 3rd pic is male, 4th is female.

If you notice the tail spangling, the 3rd one is the only one that is retaining all of it which implies male.

All the others are losing the spangling which happens to females around the 4 inch mark.

These are not the only indicators of course, the more obvious is the colors. But because the last 2 didnt have much color I looked for the spangling.

Awesome fish you have there BTW. Festae have not bored me yet. Even of they were as popular and widely available as Oscar fish, I would still prize them![/QUOTE

Yup.. This guy knows his Festae!! I agree 100% with the sexes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store