MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi all, I’ve had a Red Terror/Festae female for 7 years. She is in a 92 Gallon tank by herself and always has been. Recently, on Tuesday she started expierencing symptoms which I believe are related to a swim bladder issue. She was completely fine on Monday but I walked by the tank on Tuesday and must have spooked her and she hit the side of the tank really hard making a big splash and floated to the bottom. She has been floating around the bottom and not eating for 4 days now and turns from side to side but is able to stay straight up by rapidly using her fins. She occasionally will turn to her side and move from spot to spot near bottom of tank. I was feeding floating pellets previously and she would attack them which also could’ve contributed to this.

Yesterday I added aquarium salt as a preventive measure because I’m not sure what to do. The tank Paramaters are normal. No ammonia or nitrite. 25 Nitrate. I did a water change 2 days ago and she was able to move around but for the most part she stays in one spot.

Please let me know what you think I should do. I’ve had her for 7 years and she was in perfect health before this.

0E76A884-7695-444E-A1DA-B6AE57DA5D95.png

426E86C3-4ABE-4524-81D5-0ACCA7E52EB0.png

Cichlids186

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
Update. I got sinking pellets and she was able to eat one. However, she is still staying at the bottom.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would cont to wait it out if it’s just injury induced. Keep water changes going to keep nitrates below 20ppm. Feed if it has an appetite. Otherwise dim lights and wait. Just IMO.

Reactions: Cichlids186

Cichlids186

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
Would cont to wait it out if it’s just injury induced. Keep water changes going to keep nitrates below 20ppm. Feed if it has an appetite. Otherwise dim lights and wait. Just IMO.
Thank you for the response. Do you think it’s possible this was caused from an Injury or eating too fast and gulping too much air? I thought so because it happened instantly after she got spooked and hit something in the tank. Ik there is medication but I don’t see how it can be caused from a parasite being that she has been alone for years and previously was fine. On the water changes front, should I add more Aquarium salt after each change?

Cichlids186

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
It has been a week and she is much better than before. She’s not quite herself yet but she’s swimming at the top begging for food. I’m trying to mainly use sinking pellets to avoid the risk of her gulping in air. Although, the sinking pellets barely sink haha.

Cichlids186

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
Is it possible her issue could be related to digestion? She begs for food at the top but the last two nights I’ve fed her she reverts back to staying at the bottom, not swimming much, and colors turn darker?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you for the response. Do you think it’s possible this was caused from an Injury or eating too fast and gulping too much air? I thought so because it happened instantly after she got spooked and hit something in the tank. Ik there is medication but I don’t see how it can be caused from a parasite being that she has been alone for years and previously was fine. On the water changes front, should I add more Aquarium salt after each change?
Cichlids can have the parasite dormant in their intestines. When they get stressed out, then this thing can kind of start to act up.
It has been a week and she is much better than before. She’s not quite herself yet but she’s swimming at the top begging for food. I’m trying to mainly use sinking pellets to avoid the risk of her gulping in air. Although, the sinking pellets barely sink haha.
Glad to hear.
Is it possible her issue could be related to digestion? She begs for food at the top but the last two nights I’ve fed her she reverts back to staying at the bottom, not swimming much, and colors turn darker?
Could be related to digestion. Can soak the pellets in an Epsom salt solution. See if it helps or makes a difference.

Reactions: Cichlids186

Cichlids186

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
I appreciate your help so far!

Cichlids can have the parasite dormant in their intestines. When they get stressed out, then this thing can kind of start to act up.

Do you think it’s worth dosing with medicine or using aquarium salt in this case? I stopped adding salt since last week. I’m not sure if it’s parasite related but if it can possibly help without doing much harm considering she’s alone in the tank maybe it’s worth trying?

Glad to hear.

Thank you. Overall she is better swims much more, begs for food, but still has her moments.

Could be related to digestion. Can soak the pellets in an Epsom salt solution. See if it helps or makes a difference.

I might give this a try as well. I don’t think it will hurt much. Will keep you updated on her.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I appreciate your help so far!

Do you think it’s worth dosing with medicine or using aquarium salt in this case? I stopped adding salt since last week. I’m not sure if it’s parasite related but if it can possibly help without doing much harm considering she’s alone in the tank maybe it’s worth trying?

Glad to hear.

Thank you. Overall she is better swims much more, begs for food, but still has her moments.

I might give this a try as well. I don’t think it will hurt much. Will keep you updated on her.
Try the Epsom salt solution after some consistency and if not better then reconsider adding the salt back since stopping is the only recent change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store