Filter help

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
So my Rena xp4s filtering my 240 gallon started leaking about 3 weeks ago, tried fixing them which took forever and finally fixed it, last week went to do my regular water changes and after started them up again they started to leak again... Pissed me off so much that I am looking to just replace them..

Opinion

2 of these guys- https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B004G...=canister+filter#immersive-view_1464270550180

Or one of these plus small sump- https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00BJ...=canister+filter#immersive-view_1464267141658

Originally I was thinking with going with the two in case one breaks or shuts off over night one will be still filtering, but I have heard good things also about the fx6

Any help is appreciated

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
The Aquatops are GOOD (7/8 out of 1-10 with 10 being best) Canister filters. I have 2-304B's and 1-404B, and haven’t had a problem out of any of the three.
Just like you should do for ALL canisters, take your time(DON'T BE HEAVY HANDED), and lube the rubber o-rings FROM THE BEGINNING, AND AT LEAST THE LID O-RING EVERY TIME YOU DO MAINTENANCE.

YMMV, hope this helps...

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
The Aquatops are GOOD (7/8 out of 1-10 with 10 being best) Canister filters. I have 2-304B's and 1-404B, and haven’t had a problem out of any of the three.
Just like you should do for ALL canisters, take your time(DON'T BE HEAVY HANDED), and lube the rubber o-rings FROM THE BEGINNING, AND AT LEAST THE LID O-RING EVERY TIME YOU DO MAINTENANCE.

YMMV, hope this helps...
Thanks, got the filters for free from a buddy, so of course there is some work needed to be done on them

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I have used aquatop canisters. They are the same as the Sun Sun canisters that you can get off of ebay. The fluval will probably be higher quality, but it is a lot more expensive. I have 2 aquatop/sunsun canisters and they work pretty good. After a year or so, it gets hard to push down the primer. The fluval will also probably last longer, but the aquatop's are also good. The fluval and a sump is probably a better, more powerful filtration system. I would go with the fluval and the sump, if you have the money, but if you don't, get the aquatop's. They are both good canister filters. I am not sure how good the uv lights are on the aquatops. I do not have any aquatops with uv. I have 2 of the 304Bs

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I have used aquatop canisters. They are the same as the Sun Sun canisters that you can get off of ebay. The fluval will probably be higher quality, but it is a lot more expensive. I have 2 aquatop/sunsun canisters and they work pretty good. After a year or so, it gets hard to push down the primer. The fluval will also probably last longer, but the aquatop's are also good. The fluval and a sump is probably a better, more powerful filtration system. I would go with the fluval and the sump, if you have the money, but if you don't, get the aquatop's. They are both good canister filters. I am not sure how good the uv lights are on the aquatops. I do not have any aquatops with uv. I have 2 of the 304Bs
Thanks! I'm thinking of doing the sump and fx6 but I will be sure by tonight as I can barely sleep most nights thinking of the tub over flooding from the leaks ;P

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
You could even do a moving bed filter with k1 or k3 kaldnes and a 15 gallon drum. You could build that AND use the fx6. You could have the filter gravity fed from the tank and the have that go into a sump and then pump it back up to the tank.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
HOWEVER a 30 gallon drum might be a better choice because the top is concave, so you could easily cut it off with a jigsaw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store