Filter system for tank setup close to floor

vegasvince

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
new orleans
I'm thinking about moving my aquarium and making into a kitchen island. This means the aquarium will only be about a foot off the floor. What options do I have for a good filtration system that doesn't require a large in cabinet filter system. Right now I have a drip system under the aquarium in the cabinet.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Air driven sponge filters, powerhead driven sponge filter, hang on back power filters, undergravel filter, internal canister filter.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Sump in the basement.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I like bborko's suggestion, you could have a giant sump in the basement with all the equipment (heaters, pumps, bioreactors etc) out of sight, and it would bring all the usual pump and splash noise out of the way, and it could be open so all maintenance would be easily accessible. Sound win-win to me.
In fact, the sump could easily hold a larger volume of water than the aquarium itself, and have a bio-trickle tower that could fractionate almost basement ceiling high.

vegasvince

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
new orleans
Unfortunately there are no basements here in New Orleans. I should have given a little more info. The aquarium is 250 gallons and the trickle system I have now in the cabinet is contained in a 55 gallon aquarium. I'm thinking a canister filter is my best bet. Are there canister filters that can handle 250 gallon tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store