Fin rot?

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I have been treating my 20 gallon for ich for a while. The ich is finally going away, but it looks like my 2 minnows have fin rot. The tank has mosquito fish, feeder guppies and 2 minnows. The minnows have been nipping at each other's fins. I was treating with ich attach up until today but i am now treating with formalin malachite green and i am hoping that will take care of the fin rot also, if it is fin rot. Could it be just from them nipping at each other's fins since i only see it on the minnows?

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
The nipping could open the fish up to a secondary infection. Mosquitofish are mean for their size. However, they are also very hardy and may be more resistant to the infection than the minnows. What kind of minnows are we talking? What temperature are they being kept at?

Your medication may take care of it but pics would be best for a definitive diagnosis.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Hmm then what's the temperature? Rosy reds don't like it quite as warm as mosquitofish, but they are fairly tolerant of higher temps. Where did yours come from?

Honestly I'd add salt to your water to treat it. Up to 2ppt or so should do the trick, but less will probably be enough too. Make sure you use the proper salt!

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I got them from a fish store. I keep the water probably around 65 degrees. I do add salt after water changes. The fin rot is only on the 2 minnows.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Definitely need pics then. A lot of diseases can create the symptoms of fin rot. Any detectable ammonia or nitrite?

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Any detectable ammonia or nitrite?
Yes. There is around 1 PPM of ammonia. I have an aquaclear 30 and 50 on the tank. I have not been doing as many water changes because I have been medicating them. Also, I can't do a WC right now because I'm out of prime. My seachem safe should come tomorrow or the next day.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
With ammonia that high I'm not surprised that you are seeing illness. That's a pretty big stressor that opens them up to secondary infections. I'm sorry you lost your fish. Perhaps all of that medication killed your beneficial bacteria. Perhaps they are being overfed or lack enough surface area for the bacteria to grow on. I can't be sure. But you definitely want to get that ammonia down.

I would be surprised if you didn't see some improvement after that. Especially since you're using salt. Also remember that formalin will lower the oxygen significantly.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I have an air pump and I do not overfeed them. I have ceramic media in both aquaclears. I will do a water change when my water conditioner arrives.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store