Finally my turn, roughly 1,000 gal plywood build

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
The overflows every few feet idea is interesting, but I'm not sure how I'd implement it. The way I'm building, the tank will be right up against the back wall, none of the plumbing will be behind it. If I were to put pipes behind it I would have to reduce the front to back size of the tank as I really can't go further out into the room.

The overflow will be the width of the end of the tank, so about 54" wide. It should help reduce the suction all in one place. I'll be doing a bean animal style drain so it will all need to be one overflow as well. The plan is to point the returns in different directions. Yeah the far end will all be pointing towards the return but several will be pointing towards the right as well. I'm sure I'll have to adjust them as I find dead spots in the tank.

And I appreciate the thoughts! I'm always welcome to more of them seeing as before this my largest tank set up was only 125 gal.

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
I think what you could do is use the roof guttering inside the tank all the way along the back but with a slot nicked in along the edge to let water in and have the end go directly into your overflow so it all shares water then ask your piping for the bean can start in the same place but the water will have been drawn from all down the length of the tank

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
Sorry about some of my grammar some times my phone inputs the wrong words I try to check most of it but sometimes it slips past me (just ignore the word ask in that previous comment lol)

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
That is all option, though I'm wondering how much I really need to worry about all the drains being at one end? It will essentially be set up like a peninsula style tank, pretty common in the reef world. They don't seem to have any issues with the overflow on one narrow end. I'm thinking I'll set it up and if I end up with problems I can figure it out from there

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Mini update, got the 150 gal into it's spot in the dinning room. Found the right spot to drill through the floor, so I'll be able to run the drains and return to the tank to the main system without any problems.

Current plan is to put up drywall this weekend. I don't know if it'll happen but I'd like to see the tank build start in the next four weeks.

20160921_193346.jpg

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
It will be a bit above 2000 gal total once everything is running. I have just a rough estimate for the main tank as it will depend on how much space I have once drywall and everything is up. But to give you an idea I will have-
six 75 gal tanks
one 125 gal tank
one 150 gal tank
two 150 gal stock tank sumps
main 1000+ gal tank

So that should put me at 2025 if the main tank is exactly 1000 gal. There may end up being some smaller tanks plumbed in if I have space as I have some random 20 and 40 gal tanks around

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store