Finally my turn, roughly 1,000 gal plywood build

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Well quick update, I'm slowly making progress, one of these days I'll actually build a tank.

For now the basement is coming along well. Got the lights wired up yesterday and LEDs installed today. I think I'm going to add another row still. It looks bright in the pic but it is a little darker than I would like down there.

I also have been cleaning tanks and building stands. Two stands built, two to go. I need to figure out how to raise them more however as the bottom tanks aren't high enough to drain into the sumps.

I also found another deal, a 150 gal with solid stand and canopy for $150, so that will be going upstairs with plumbing through the floor for it.

So we are getting there. Might have bitten off more than I can chew.

20160710_164943.jpg 20160703_123749.jpg

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Well we've had a setback. With the stands how I had built them the bottom tank would he too low to flow into the sump. So after a lot of consideration a plan was figured out. It isn't pretty, but it is stable and gets me the height I need. Downside is that the top of the 125 to the floor joists above it is only 11". Plus the top of the tank is a bit taller than I am, so a few inches over 6', so I'll need a step stool to work in it, but not the end of the world.

I was having a tough time getting the base level, so I laid down 2x4s on shims to get them level and shot some powder actuated nails through them to hold them in place. 4x4s and 2x4s stacked and screwed into that. Managed to get both tanks perfectly level front to back and side to side, so I'm happy.

20160725_220114.jpg 20160725_212941.jpg 20160725_212929.jpg 20160725_212757.jpg

EighthNotch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
I'm watching this thread as I love plywood tanks. Once you get your basement finished you'll be so relieved. Keep this thread going!

Reactions: fishguy306

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
It has taken me so much longer than I had expected, so many side projects that distract me, but in the end once it is all how I want it the tank will be worth it. Plus I have much more of a dedicated fish room than I had planned before, which I think is a very good thing.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Not a very exciting update, but I have one. I've been slowing working on the basement, adding outlets and the such. Well a couple days ago I found a bunch of water around my sump pump pit. I was worried it or the ejector pump was dying on me.

Well last night I discovered the water was puddled up under my hot water heater. Well crap, another expense and delay, going to be replacing that now. So I start looking around, then I discover the water is actually coming from my furnace/AC which is right next to the hot water heater. Turns out my condensation drain line was clogged up (terrible planning for how they ran the line) and the water was being forced out a cap instead. We blew air through the line and seemed to get it flowing again. It isn't perfect but it'll work until I can rerun the line.

In happier news I keep buying upgrades I dont really need. I had a reefkeeper Elite to run my system, this morning I bought the even nice Archon. It will give me some additional control to the system even while away from it. It will also support IP webcams, so I'm thinking one for my main tank and one in the fish room. Extra toys are always nice.

I also picked up some of the glass suction cups. I wish I had gotten them a long time ago! I bought four of the doubles, each is rated at 190 lbs with a working load. Should make moving tanks so much easier. I'm excited to have them while picking up the new 150 this weekend.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Small update. Wiring is run on the finished side for the outlets. Time to start putting up drywall. Also finished the second stand for two 75s. So one more double to build and one single.

I've been cleaning tanks like crazy lately, the end is finally in sight for those. The biggest update I have is about the pumps. I finally have identified both. One of them is a hammerhead, pumps out 6000 gph. The other is a beast of a pump, 2 HP that sucks 1600 watts, it pumps a nice 11,000 gph and can handle 77' of head. I think between the two my system should be good. So hopefully I'll have some big updates soon. Water is in the near future!

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
I would seriously consider a different pump than that 2hp pump. It will be overkill for your system and more importantly your electric bill. There are FAR more efficient pumps out there. One quick way to piss a spouse off is to jump your bills up through the roof :) I still remember an iwaki pump I had that used about 700w, the best thing I have ever done in this hobby was to sell it and get a dart using 130ish watts. My electric bill saw a dramatic difference, as well as my wife's attitude towards my tank :)

Reactions: fishguy306

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I've had similar thoughts about it since learning it's size actually. I'm a bit concerned about it's power consumption. It'll cost me a bit over $100 a month to run.

That said to replace it I would need at least a couple more hammerhead pumps in it's place. With one of the tanks going up a flight of stairs that is ~15' right there alone. Add in seven other regular tanks and the main display and I need to move a lot of water. I don't see reaching the 10x so many people aim for as 20,000+ gph would be insane.

Hammerheads are much better, they only use around 330 watts if I remember correctly. But, replacing the 2 HP one, in order to get the head I need I'll need what? Two more? Maybe three of them? At $400 a pop that does start to add up.

Thankfully I don't have a spouse to worry about yet lol. But I do appreciate the thoughts. Glad to hear someone thinking the same as I am.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I got lights figured out, it cost me a pretty penny but I picked up six of the Radion XR15FW lights. I can sync them up, do sunrise and sunset, different intensities throughout the day as well as clouds passing and lightning storms. I'm looking forward to using these things. Below are a couple pics, they are about 93% intensity. The blues show up very strong, they look much whiter in person

received_1776616242606545.jpeg received_1776615925939910.jpeg

Reactions: mrrobxc and Ilawis
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store