Fire eel and knife fish

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
For the knife fish, train it on pellets.
For the Fire Eel, I have never had a fire eel that would take pellets. Feed him red wriggler worms (if small) or earth worms (if large) and krill.

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
How should I feed them/get the food to them if they are in a tank full of big predators?
if you know where they consistently hide, use a length of clear tubing or pvc pipe and drop the food right in front of their hidey hole. It may take a while for them to accept food this way but eventually they will overcome their shyness and eat like pigs. This holds for all bottom feeders when top feeders are present.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
For fire eel - try thawed shrimps, usually they go nuts for them..then chop some shrimps, mix them with thawed fish (look for species without thiaminase), add seachem nourish or some similar vitamines and put mixture in a fridge for a day.. soon fire eel will go for a fish also if it smells like shrimp :) i have same diet for knife fish :)

With other predatory fishes - feed them first, then you can hand feed the eel :)

Reactions: biggfish

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Pellet training spiny eels is not easy, but it's definitely not impossible. I and at least a handful of other members have done it. Just takes a lot of patience, and maybe a little creativity... I got my old TT to take pellets by mixing them with the krill that I handfed him, and just gradually fed fewer krill and more pellets. I had actually tried several different methods in combination, but I believe this was probably what really got me the end result. Once he got accustomed to the pellets, he'd take them from the surface, as well. I'll eventually attempt to do the same with the 4 eels I have now, but for now they're just eating bloodworms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store