First attempt at saltwater

jscherbert

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2014
United States
My parents had a spare 10 gallon sitting around, cleaned it up, let it sit for a week with regular water (source had .5 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5ppm nitrates after a few days of sitting). a week into it sitting, I took out the gravel, added salt, sand, and a pound of live rock. Salinity has been 1.0202 ish for the past two days.
I'm unsure what my parameters are currently (don't have a saltwater test kit and assumed the freshwater one is different).

I was planning on letting the tank sit like this for about 3 weeks before adding anything (obviously checking salinity everyday). Is this enough time? And should I still do a weekly water change? Or skip the water change for cycling process?

Another issue is stocking. I was thinking about a small hermit crab or 2 and some gobies or blennies. Not sure of the compatibility between crabs and the fish though. The crabs aren't a must have, just thought they would look nice in there. If this is ok, what types of goby/blenny would be successful in here (aka not too big)? If not, any suggestions on other marine life that would be appropriate in here?

Thanks.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
See if you can get to a good quality Lfs many times they will test the water for free. http://www.wetwebmedia.com is a good place to read.

I would do a shrimp goby pair. I've don a pair of clownfish with a shrimp and a crab too.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Technically the ocellaris clowns are small-ish. I wouldn't based on how big they get though....

You could try a Caribbean biotope: hermit crabs, ricordea mushroom anemones, and barnacle blennies.
The blennies are small, and you can easily keep 4-5 as long as each gets it's own hidey hole.

Similarly, you could try trimma or eviota gobies. 2-3 of ONE species might work.

A pair of the smallest possum wrasses would be cool too.

if you're looking for something absolutely easy, then go for some marine guppies or marine endler's.

The nano aquarium hobby is really taking off, so check on liveaquaria or another estore to see what nano fishes are kind of available.

jscherbert

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2014
United States
Thanks for the options. I'll look into that.

Any idea how people handle top-offs? (Water evaporating). I'd assume you add regular, dechlorinated water that's the same temp as the tank water since the salt will be left behind causing salinity to go up? although, I have a hunch that's not right.

Along with that, how would you handle a spike or drop in salinity?

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Depending on the tank, you would put in RO/DI water for topoffs so to prevent algae growth. I just add freshwater when I need to. Do this at least once a week. Technically you can use dechlorinated tap, but when I did that, it just didn't work...

Spikes and drops in salinity would be remedied by water changes to get the salinity down or up depending on the deviation from normal salinity. You'd just add water that was at the right salinity until the salinity of the aquarium was equal to whatever you wanted it to be.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Depending on the tank, you would put in RO/DI water for topoffs so to prevent algae growth. I just add freshwater when I need to. Do this at least once a week. Technically you can use dechlorinated tap, but when I did that, it just didn't work...

Spikes and drops in salinity would be remedied by water changes to get the salinity down or up depending on the deviation from normal salinity. You'd just add water that was at the right salinity until the salinity of the aquarium was equal to whatever you wanted it to be.
Ro/di water will not eliminate algea growth, algea is from phosphates, lighting, and nitrates.....topping off systems with regular dechlored tap water is also fine for fish only and most corals.... If ur salinity is off more fresh dechlored tap water brings the level down....more salt raises it. Waterchanges are not necessary to dial in ur salinity unless ur taking out too salty water and replacing it with fresh to drop the level.

O.p. you are correct in that ur salinity will raise after evaporation..."topping off" with fresh water will bring it back down. Fish and corals can tolerate a swing/range and its pretty easy to keep ur salinity where u want it. Rodi units are not necessary either unless ur really into expensive corals. Rodi units eliminate TDS not algea. Ive kept fish only tanks, fish with live rock, sharks, and even reef tanks without a rodi unit. No need to get ahead of urself from the start. Live rock, a decent filter, and hydrometer will get u started. Plenty to learn/upgrade down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Rodi may not be needed for some, but is required by most. If your water has nitrates and phosphates like mine, then topping off will concentrate those elements in your tank leading to algae growth. In my opinion it is not good advice to skip the Rodi unless you know the TDS of your source water, and what that TDS consists of. The Rodi is the single most important piece of equipment in my opinion for a beginner.

Raise your salinity, all marine livestock will do better at 1.024 to 1.026. Get a refractometer, you can't keep salinity right without it, and your small volume makes this harder.

10 is too small for clowns, but the shrimp goby pair is a great suggestion, again in my opinion.

Good luck, let's see some pics once you get it going!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store