First Blooms

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Very beautiful blooms and excellent sign the pond is doing great oddball. :)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
....and how big is the pond?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The pond currently contains live scuds (Gammarus sp.) and tadpoles. Plants include 6 potted water lilies, dwarf papyrus, a philodendron, anacharis, purple pickerel plants,and bamboo. I've been waiting for the pond to settle before introducing 6 wakin goldfish. I'm guessing the pond may be fine for them since a few hundred tree frog tadpoles are doing well and clearing the pond of hair algae. The 450 gal poly bin is above ground and I've been waiting for the border elephant ear plants and dwarf red banana trees to spread a bit to control the temp before adding the fish.
I'm also growing out some creeping Jenny and water lotus to add to the pond once they're mature enough.
I also will be adding a bromeliad we bought recently. It was root bound when we bought it and has produced 2 daughter plants since repotting it. I want to wait until the daughter plants are mature enough to separate from the parent plant before replanting it around the pond.
The pond turned out to not be as level as I'd like it. But, before draining and leveling it, I want to wait on the plants to establish themselves and harden up before moving them and draining the pond (into another 450 (I have 30 of them)) and leveling the ground again.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Forgot to mention that we've just received the filter for the pond. The pump is small for a fish only bio-load. It pumps 450GPH. However, it runs on 12 volts supplied by 2 small solar panels. A back-up battery trickle charges throughout the day and will run the filter at night. The intake is a standard pond filter box with glass media and coarse filter material and the filter box is a gravity drain pond W/D filter with bio-balls and sintered glass bio-media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store