First forum site I've ever been on

Bubbles_n_worms

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
New hampshire
This is the first form side I've ever used, I've been working on my tank for almost 2 months now. Done a lot of reading on the Internet about the fish that I keep and watch a ton of YouTube videos on the fish that I keep. I love it. I also have A dog and a cat three guinea pigs a lions head bunny. And now my tank . I think it's safe to assess am an animal lover.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bubbles_n_worms

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
New hampshire
I was saying first forum site....

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Welcome to MFK, April!
Glad to hear you're doing research, and you came to the forum with pictures to share. You're off to a great start!

Reactions: Bubbles_n_worms

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Welcome to MFK. Nice bgk, I really enjoy mine great fish.

Reactions: Bubbles_n_worms

Bubbles_n_worms

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
New hampshire
It all started with a complete 55G on the side of the road for free! Glass lids and all! Did a 1-2 week cycle with my Betta in a breeding cube. He stayed in there as I slowly added my fish perfect ph and all. After all the fish were in after a few weeks the Betta got out of the cube. He's the most peaceful fish in there! Has a bed at the top (live hammock) also have 3 feeder guppys my brown knife fish never ate lol two are prego! I was feeding everyone tadpoles from my pond, and 4 survided, they almost have legs, no one bothers them.so those are my oddballs! Then I have 4 Angels, mean buggers to each other,4 neon,5 assorted tetra ie. Silver tip. Fast enough to swim away if they need to. 1 Lazy Pleco ! A beefy rainbow shark who terrorizes my 3 corydoras. Then the brown ghost knife fish and a new black ghost knife-fish. Plenty of tubes, plants caves. More ordered too,on the way. I feed blood worms, shrimp pellets, trop. Flakes, beef heart flakes, algae wafers , and sinkers. Once a while the tadpoles, or live brine. Only problem I've had is after medicating for something I don't think I even need to medicate for. My pH which was always perfect seven drop down to six within two days. My brown ghost turned white and I rushed him to My LFS where they acclimated him, and bag Him. It was Furan 2 btw. My nitrates were up to 80 because I had moss in the tank that I thought was living but was dead, and my ammonia was at 1.0 after my first water change, which was done exactly a month after I started the tank, 25%. Now I do 15% a week my ammonia is at zero, nitrates are at .25 ppm, and my pH is at 6.4. I'd like to raise it up a little bit but I know the knife fish like a bit of acidity the other fish seem fine as well so I'm not too worried about it. Needless to say I took out all the moss and things are stable, I just bought a GH test kit which will be here on Monday, from Amazon. Other than that little bit of aquarium salt , some stress zime. We are good, a little cloudy today but I don't worry about cloudy happens from time to time, I worry about levels. I test every day. Or I have been at least until i'm stable for a week . If you have any tips for me or comments I'm really up to suggestion it's my first tank I'm learning a lot, but it's nice do you have insight on your own aquarium. Thanks for the reply

image.jpg

image.jpg

View attachment 1133009

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bubbles_n_worms

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
New hampshire
I forgot to mention my clown Loach (Pogo, the clown).

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You didn't mention nitrite. A tank is cycled once ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate starts rising.

First thing you need to do is stop adding more fish. It is a natural desire to want to keep adding fish, but this can be very detrimental to the health of your tank especially for someone who is inexperienced.

15% water change once a week is not enough unless you have plenty of plants. Plants will utilize nitrate, so without them the only practical way to remove nitrate is water changes. 15% w/c will not do much to lower your nitrate level with all the fish you have now, so it'll just keep rising. Ultimately, it will affect the health of your fish. I recommend at a minimum of 50% w/c once a week.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
+1^^^ What he said til you get a good amount of live plants going with good lighting and please put the lights on a timer. Tank looking much better. You're on the right track, but cut back on the bloodworms a bit til all reading zeros 'cept the nitrate. Try and keep it at or under 20.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store