First saltwater tank

Wyattshaw99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
So I have a 55 gallon tank rn set up for freshwater with 2 hob filters both eater for 50 gallons I have some other equipment that I would like to add to the tank and get it up and running as saltwater here's what I have: a pump from an a protein skimmer meant for a 150 gallon tank and a very high output bubbler is a machine that I used to use for my asthma but now have it pumping bubbles in a tank if I put all three of these things in a tank would that be enough flow for saltwater I have a high output light and heater for the tank but what chemicals do I need to get for everything to grow right I really just want soft corals and a banded moray eel they have him at my lfs and I'm in love and they said he would work a 55 any help on what I need to do from here to have salt water? I've never had saltwater only freshwater I have 2 55 gallon tanks and a 125 gallon tank

turboGarrett

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2010
wi
I just took the plunge as well a few months back, not sure why I waited almost 20 years since my last saltwater setup. All the life on live rock is really fascinating. Planning on some easy corals like gsp in the future.

Already learned a hard lesson on quarantine. Bought a kole tang from the lfs that brought ich into the main tank and now has to sit fishless for 8 weeks while that crap runs its course.

Good luck!

Wyattshaw99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
I just took the plunge as well a few months back, not sure why I waited almost 20 years since my last saltwater setup. All the life on live rock is really fascinating. Planning on some easy corals like gsp in the future.

Already learned a hard lesson on quarantine. Bought a kole tang from the lfs that brought ich into the main tank and now has to sit fishless for 8 weeks while that crap runs its course.

Good luck!
Ok so how does this help me? Jw

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I first would start off by suggesting if the machine you're using is not aquarium approved , don't use on the aquarium. Before going any further with the saltwater setup please, please do tons of research first, because it can become expensive very quickly.:) I'm only trying to help so you will become successful. Read the threads here on our forum, and others if you choose to.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Do you have the protein skimmer or just the pump? Get salt and a refractometer and set up your tank like a freshwater tank with the 2 hob filters. Then add the salt and use the refractometer to double check your salt level. once that is good add a few pieces of live rock (make sure no aptasia) or ammonia or a piece of fish or shrimp and let the tank cycle.

For the media in the HOB I would use ceramic rings or pot scrubbers for biological filtration and a sponge or micron pad for mechanical. It is cheaper then the standard cartridges and to clean it you just rinse the mechanical filtration and not throwing away your bio filtration.

That is the short simple way. Something you might look into is RO/DI water. I don't use it but it is something people obsess about. You can look into that on your own.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey and D7620

Wyattshaw99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Do you have the protein skimmer or just the pump? Get salt and a refractometer and set up your tank like a freshwater tank with the 2 hob filters. Then add the salt and use the refractometer to double check your salt level. once that is good add a few pieces of live rock (make sure no aptasia) or ammonia or a piece of fish or shrimp and let the tank cycle.

For the media in the HOB I would use ceramic rings or pot scrubbers for biological filtration and a sponge or micron pad for mechanical. It is cheaper then the standard cartridges and to clean it you just rinse the mechanical filtration and not throwing away your bio filtration.

That is the short simple way. Something you might look into is RO/DI water. I don't use it but it is something people obsess about. You can look into that on your own.
I have the skimmer also didn't know if I should use that part or not and for the hob filters I use pinky sheets so I think I'll continue to use those since they will work fine from what ur saying but that's it all I have to do is get salt, watch levels for a few weeks get some live rock that's good and then wait a little bit and I can grow corals and have that eel? Would u recommend cycling it using mollies since I know they can be both salt and freshwater

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I have the skimmer also didn't know if I should use that part or not and for the hob filters I use pinky sheets so I think I'll continue to use those since they will work fine from what ur saying but that's it all I have to do is get salt, watch levels for a few weeks get some live rock that's good and then wait a little bit and I can grow corals and have that eel? Would u recommend cycling it using mollies since I know they can be both salt and freshwater
What are pinky sheets? Yeah that is basically it. Your description of high out light isn't that great. You can grow mushrooms, leathers and zoa under a single t5 or a cfl. You can use the mollies but they might be exposed to ammonia and might not like it to much.

Wyattshaw99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
What are pinky sheets? Yeah that is basically it. Your description of high out light isn't that great. You can grow mushrooms, leathers and zoa under a single t5 or a cfl. You can use the mollies but they might be exposed to ammonia and might not like it to much.
Pinky sheets are like kind of cotton ig but I got a 10 foot roll of them for 12 dollars and they work great and the light is a double finnex fuge Ray led would that work ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store