first time feeding talapia

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
been feeding my rays frozen blood worms and red wigglers,,, tonight i tried some
talapia. they did not seem to interested in it,, they were curious and would continue
to taste and spit it out. i cut them to about pencil eraser size and thawed them out.
i hope they will take to them without having to starve them since i have them in the tank
with discus and they are eating the same foods. any thoughts or suggestions?

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Young rays take weeks sometimes months to accept alternative foods to what they have become accustomed to. The fact they are mouthing it is encouraging, this is the first stages of the conversion, however you will still have to give them what they are used to for a long while yet otherwise they will rapidly lose weight and over all condition. Marinate the red wrigglers, bloodworm and the Tilapia overnight in a fridge, be sure to chop the red worms up first so the juices are absorbed into the fish meat.
Some rays convert quicker than others, try adding some chopped mussel and Prawn into the mix, pups will take to some foods faster than others.

Good luck!

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
Thanks... I'm not really in a rush to convert them, I'm just trying to get them to take a variety of foods. I want to continue to feed both worms plus some other foods

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Try using garlic guard with the normal food they have been eating and then try it with the tilapia they might take to it easier

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
Tried not feeding them for 3 days... found out the hard way not such a good Ideal. I believe that they ate one of my discus..lol. still will not touch the talapia.. next step will be market shrimp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store