Fish dying one by one

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Which new fish? The convict? I've had him close to five months now.
I was referring to any new fish but in this case, replacement barbs.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Oh ok. I'm gonna wait a while before adding anything to the tank. I would like to ensure the health of my remaining ones before adding new ones.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Still wouldn't surprise me, though admittedly it's probably the least likely out of all the ideas put forward.
I still wouldn't rule out that the convict is not picking on them at night unless a night video is taken to see what the convict is doing when the lights are out. It's like saying giant danios are safe with oscars since they are fast and not attacked during the day, and then a couple of years later they start jumping out or disappearing. Stress from being chased while lights are out can lead to lower immunity.

Reactions: convict360

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
sometimes I'll shine a flash light into the tank to see the catfish and the barbs and convict sleep on opposite side of the tank. I've never seen them doing anything but sleeping when I do this. It's a 48x18 tank. But, you're right I can't rule it out. But if it makes a difference, from what I see during the day, the convict leaves them alone. Sometimes if they're in his little corner he'll chase them out but it's not an "across the tank" chase.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
You can try to leave a little light out during night time. For me, I don't use any lid/tank cover so I keep blue light on to keep my fish calm at night time, they will in panic mode if there total darkness in their tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store