Fish ID (peacock) & Quarantine tank size question. Video

stalefish83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2015
Eugene, OR
This was my first experience trading fish privately. Did I just get a harem? Also, how big of a quarantine tank should I get for these guys? Thinking 40ish gallon cube. I've never quarantined in 7+ years of fish keeping, but these guys look rough. I tested the water they came in and, well... not good. Details in the video

Thanks!

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
To quarantine a group of adult peacocks I would want a 48" tank.

stalefish83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2015
Eugene, OR
That would be nice. Problem is I'm running out of wall space, haha! That's why I was thinking more of a cube. Still get the volume, but the real estate for the fish does suffer

stalefish83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2015
Eugene, OR
Final home is a 90 gallon 5 ft tank with male peacocks. Lwanda, Dragonblood, OB, Electric Blue Fryeri and some others. 8 total in the display tank now

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
You don't want to put a harem in a tank with single male peacocks and haps.

stalefish83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2015
Eugene, OR
That's partly why I posted this. I hadn't heard of anybody attempting that, so one of my main questions was whether or not this was a harem. It sure looks like it, but it could be possible there's males that are subdominant and not colored up yet. I initially thought there were two different species, but if it's all the same, whether there were additional males or not, I would still only want to put one in my display tank. Traded 3 nice looking fish essentially for one.

What I'll probably do is get a bigger quarantine tank (obviously) and keep the four in that don't move to the display, and see if I get any other males out of the four silver fish. Then trade away the harem if one develops, or just individual fish, utlimately only keeping one.

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
yes you could do that, but doubtful anyone would take 4 unknown females. Figure out what you have before trying to unload them.

stalefish83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2015
Eugene, OR
Against my better judgement I'm strongly considering introducing two of these fish into my main tank. I know I'm taking a major chance here but I have not been able to find another larger tank that'll work and I'm going out of town for the holiday weekend. They've been in that little 10 gallon tank way too long already.

I'm thinking of taking the colored male, and the next most colorful fish, and leaving the 3 others in the 10 gallon. Hopefully cutting the numbers from 5 to 3 in that teeny tiny tank will do something. It's far from ideal but I have to think it'll do something. All of what looked like they could be issues have cleared up since they've been in clean water. I'll probably move them over tonight after work so I'll have tomorrow to observe them and catch anything that becomes immediately apparent, then I'm going out of town Friday so they'll be in the dark for 3 days, which should help them settle in.

Talk me out of it? I know it's a bad idea, but without having found a larger tank and really no time to set one up I don't see another option. Aside from avoiding this situation in the future.

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
so you want to combine 8 known males, with a 9th male, and potentially 1 female...... you're asking for WW3 with that. Wouldn't be surprised if you came home to dead fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store