Fish Question

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
i didnt know young arapima are skittish. in that case then forget i said that they are good tankmates. what fish are you interested in?? and all bichirs are gar freindly.

aqualife08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Illinois
Can i also add any kind of knife fish? Also im not going to add any wolf fish with the 2x gars. Im thinking adding 1 jardini, 2 bichers(don't know which kind yet), 1 knife fish and a peacock bass. Sounds good?

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Jardini are only good as by themselves....they may be good when small but they get large and like to kill everything.

teguc1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
eugene, Or
I have kept Dovi, aka Wolf fish. Have raised them many times, bred them, and kept them with other cichlids. They are the meanest fish I have ever seen. will absolutely tear anything apart, especially the males. I had mine in with Jags, Red Terrors, Umbies, and other meanies. If you value your Gar and other fish, don't add a Dovi. They are really cool fish, with great colors and personality, but they will take over your tank and either kill or severly disable any fish that it can catch.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
aqualife08;1825891; said:
Can i also add any kind of knife fish? Also im not going to add any wolf fish with the 2x gars. Im thinking adding 1 jardini, 2 bichers(don't know which kind yet), 1 knife fish and a peacock bass. Sounds good?
teguc1;1826311; said:
I have kept Dovi, aka Wolf fish. Have raised them many times, bred them, and kept them with other cichlids. They are the meanest fish I have ever seen. will absolutely tear anything apart, especially the males. I had mine in with Jags, Red Terrors, Umbies, and other meanies. If you value your Gar and other fish, don't add a Dovi. They are really cool fish, with great colors and personality, but they will take over your tank and either kill or severly disable any fish that it can catch.
aqualife - research the aba aba knife....that may change you thoughts.

teguc1 - we are talking about the wolf fish (Hoplias malabaricus) not wolf cichlid (parachromis dovii). neither are compatable with gar.

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
aqualife08;1825891; said:
peacock bass would be a no. because they spook the gar and would possibly break its back if it ran into the glass.

and just about any knife fish except the aba aba. blaack ghost, african, or clown.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
city_of_evil6661;1826885; said:
peacock bass would be a no. because they spook the gar and would possibly break its back if it ran into the glass.

and just about any knife fish except the aba aba. blaack ghost, african, or clown.
that jardini is a bad idea and clown knifes can be hit or miss. not a very well thought out stocklist. i would strongly suggest doing more research before purchasing all these fish.

aqualife08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Illinois
lol why is it so hard to choose a mate for these kool looking gars! Ok well i won't buy a jardini, any type of wolf fish and peacock bass. What kind of arowana's can i add then? I got the knife fish in list and also Bichers. Any other fish in mind i can add??? Also thanks for all the great info guys.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
aqualife08;1830746; said:
lol why is it so hard to choose a mate for these kool looking gars! Ok well i won't buy a jardini, any type of wolf fish and peacock bass. What kind of arowana's can i add then? I got the knife fish in list and also Bichers. Any other fish in mind i can add??? Also thanks for all the great info guys.
aggressive and jumpy fish are usually not suitable tankmates for gar, because of them being a very easily injured fish and they tend to be easily bullied as well. dont let the toothed mouth and tough ganoid scales fool you...these fish often times fall victim to poor choice of tankmates.

a silver arowana may work, but even that can be touch and go. my gar tried tearing my silver aro apart (that was the same size as them). sort of the opposite of what i just said...i know. i think it's the bright silver coloring and long flowing body that attracted them.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
true arowanas are hit or miss...go with a black as they are generally smaller. African arowanas (more closely related to arapaimas) generally do just fine with gars...as to just about all bichir species. Notopterid knife fishes also generally do well with gars (particularly clowns and royals). datnoids can usually be compatible, and south american and australian lungfishes also generally get along with gars--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store