HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/mobile/content.php?sid=6883

More than 100 fish had to be rescued from a US aquatic shop last Friday after concerned members of the public contacted police.

Almost a dozen officers from Corpus Christi Police Department and Animal Care Services teamed up with experts from Texas State Aquarium and the Rockport Aquarium to rescue the fish, along with marine invertebrates and corals, which had been left at the Aquarium Masters store at Corpus Christi, Texas, in filthy tanks without power.

The store's owner, Eric Wayne Kite, had been arrested a week ago on charges of harassment and then arrested again last Wednesday for stalking, reports KristTV.com. His arrests had left the fish unattended in the store.

The rescued livestock, which includes marine sharks, puffers and sea stars, have been transferred to Texas State Aquarium and the Aquarium at Rockport Harbor.

It's unclear whether the owners of the Aquarium Masters store will now face charges of neglect.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Wow, the owner sounds like a real winner :/
Glad everyone found a good new home :)

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
How can it be neglect if he was in jail? I bet even though not mentioned, the owner most likely told the police he needed to be there to take care of them.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If he's cooling his heels and locked up it's certainly not willful neglect.This guy had a business to run and animals to look after and care for yet he's harrassing and following people around.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Whether he is in jail or not won't make any difference. I've seen poorly managed fish stores that have dead and stinky fish, but I have never heard of charges of inhumane treatment of fish. I guess animal right only applies to warm blooded animal.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Right,most of us have heard of those kinds of cases and they are completely different from this one.Fortunately the animals involved here have been saved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store