Fish Transportation questions

jlieskovan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2012
San Francisco
Hey guys, its been a while. I have been busy with college, i am about to graduate in around 4 weeks. The downside to this is that i am moving from my bay area apartment where i have my 55g with a 5" Odoe Pike. I will be going from the Bay Area to the central valley, around 4 hour drive. What is the best way to transport fish? I used a trashcan with towels for transporting my 10 pbass around 2 years ago, that drive was around 1 hour but i lost the bass, it just beat its self up thrashing around. This trip will be much longer, and i would like to not lose the fish this time. any tips? thanks If it is too hard to transport i will probably just sell the fish, no point in killing a great fish to try and transport it.

Thanks

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Surprised you lost the pike. Fish are shipped thousand and thousand miles away a one hour drive should be no issue what so ever. Even a 4 hour trip just put it In a bucket and that's it.

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
put them in a bucket or totes would be fine, I would bring battery pump and air stone for extra oxygen.

Reactions: fishnatics

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I always use a cooler, it helps keep the temp stable. Also drill a small hole in the lid for an airline to a battery powered pump.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I always use a cooler, it helps keep the temp stable. Also drill a small hole in the lid for an airline to a battery powered pump.
When I picked up rays it was probably an hour or so I was fine.

But for good measure this is a 5" ode pike so its not massive or anything. Honestly a bucket for this type of fish will suffice but you can use a cooler and a battery powered pump.

Think about how long in transport these fish go with limited oxygen and space. If the fish was massive above a foot i would do battery powered pump and a cooler due to the fact they will be very stressed in a small envirnment and will hurt themselves. You can use clove oil to sedate big fish but too much you will euthanize them.

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
Don't feed the day before. Use a cooler. Temperature is more important than extra oxygen in my opinion. I lined small coolers with trash bags when moving my Dovii seven hours away.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Like everyone said. For an hr or less I just put them in a bucket and go. For longer drives, I use a cooler and a battery air pump. I've done it this way for a long time.

Reactions: bignootch

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Check out the Articles Forum for travel advice. There's an article on long distance travel, which you can translate to your shorter drive.

Good luck

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I would recommend buying a large bat saver tank from a fishing store. The bait saver tank is a large plastic tank that has a battery operated pump and a screw on lid to keep water form splashing out.

I did however once take a six inch long pet bluegill home on the bus in a plastic shoe box and it was messy due to the water. But the Bluegill got home fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store