Fishing Season 2k15!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
Nice, sounds like some variety. I always think its the most fun fishing for new species.
It is exciting. I'm going to make the best of it before I return in a couple years. I will be fishing for my milkfish in my father in law's pond this weekend. These milkfish weight 4-5 pounds each. I will post pics.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Finally made it back down to the creek for a few hours. Hiked a quarter mile downstream and got nothing then on the way back I pulled four out of the hole I started at upstream haha. Got 2 smallies (4" and 9") plus two rainbows, one of which was a decent ~11" and the other was a lunker 14" that ran downstream and bent my pike rod in half! Yeah I know it's not that big compared to the steelhead we catch in erie but that's a pretty decent rainbow for this creek. (No pic of the lunker as he swallowed the hook and I got him back in ASAP).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ha cool man, it's almost Steelheading time. Buddy I went with caught a 12 lb chinook salmon last weekend,off the pier, gut loaded with eggs.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Ha cool man, it's almost Steelheading time. Buddy I went with caught a 12 lb chinook salmon last weekend,off the pier, gut loaded with eggs.
Did you make spawn sacks?
I'm getting ready to head up myself.
Early mornings and fighting with other people for spots here I come.

Reactions: twcp

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome! Which lake? I've only ever caught one Chinook in Erie about 10 miles offshore and it was a little 5 pounder, still tasted great though :). Steelhead season never ends man! When they're not in the tribs we chase them in the open water and vice versa, fight much better than walleye anyway, Salmonids rule!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Did you make spawn sacks?
I'm getting ready to head up myself.
Early mornings and fighting with other people for spots here I come.
Haha, sounds like walnut creek in erie. You've got the diehard fly fishermen who are there at 4 AM (which is what I am the couple weekends I'm actually fishing on shore) and the guys who fish once a year who show up at noon in full chest waders with a spin casting setup using blue powerbait XD.

That's why we much prefer trolling on our boat around the trib mouths in 5-15 feet just when the Steelies are staging. All the guys are shoulder to shoulder on the beach casting cleos while we're sitting back while the downriggers drag flutter spoons behind us. We cast from the boat a bit too but I like trolling because we can have two or four rods in at once since I'm the only one that casts when anchored, my dad grew up a bait fisherman and will just throw a shiner out with a bell sinker lol.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
No sacs yet, cured but leaving as skein to catch some more lurkers. Was at the mouth of a trib off huron.

The regular routine is wake up 4 am, get to the spot half hour before light, put a glow stick on the bobber and away I go, that's when they're up river of course, at the mouth it's more like get there for 4 and secure your spot. They don't stage for too too long before you can catch em up river steady, i prefer the bush over the pier.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Haha, sounds like walnut creek in erie. You've got the diehard fly fishermen who are there at 4 AM (which is what I am the couple weekends I'm actually fishing on shore) and the guys who fish once a year who show up at noon in full chest waders with a spin casting setup using blue powerbait XD.

That's why we much prefer trolling on our boat around the trib mouths in 5-15 feet just when the Steelies are staging. All the guys are shoulder to shoulder on the beach casting cleos while we're sitting back while the downriggers drag flutter spoons behind us. We cast from the boat a bit too but I like trolling because we can have two or four rods in at once since I'm the only one that casts when anchored, my dad grew up a bait fisherman and will just throw a shiner out with a bell sinker lol.
Just curious but what do you have your down riger set at? Are you bashing the guys who have full chest waders and are using artificial bait? I'm not using power bait but I do have the ace of spades, galic mini marshmallows.

No sacs yet, cured but leaving as skein to catch some more lurkers. Was at the mouth of a trib off huron.

The regular routine is wake up 4 am, get to the spot half hour before light, put a glow stick on the bobber and away I go, that's when they're up river of course, at the mouth it's more like get there for 4 and secure your spot. They don't stage for too too long before you can catch em up river steady, i prefer the bush over the pier.
I admit that I've rode up after school and slept in my car at the dock then driven to the creek and been ready to cast at first light when the day opens. How's the fly fishing coming along?

Reactions: twcp

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just curious but what do you have your down riger set at? Are you bashing the guys who have full chest waders and are using artificial bait? I'm not using power bait but I do have the ace of spades, galic mini marshmallows.
We'll run them anywhere from 3-12 feet down depending on what the depth of the water is in shallow. Out deep we keep them in the 50-70 feet down range. No certainly not trying to bash anyway, I spin fish for trout a good bit myself and I never leave home on opening day around here without garlic cheese powerbaits and mealworms. And I happen to own chest waders myself for deeper water. I just find it find it funny that there's this guy in knee deep water sweating in chest waders throwing powerbait in the middle of the creek while everyone else around him is casting wooly buggers or clouser minnows. Quite the opposite at home where you'll barely see anyone fly fishing around here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store