Fishing Season 2k15!!!!!!!!!!!!!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Alright weekend in Erie, not a lot of considerably sized fish but still got a couple. Weather was very bad all weekend, especially yesterday with consistent 5-9.5' waves all day according to the weather buoy so we decided to bay fish. I got 22 all weekend and my dad was in the 8-9 range. Most of the catch consisted of small (5-10") Yellow Perch as well as bull Bluegills and Pumpkinseeds (6-8.5"). However I did do somewhat alright on Pike yesterday. Fished jerkbaits and spinnerbaits and went 2 for 5 on smallish northerns. The three that didn't take the hook were all on jerkbaits (which I don't understand because shadow raps have three treble books that i slice myself on every time I touch the lure!) and the two I landed were both on a gold spinnerbait with only one hook that for me has a 100% hook up rate so far. The ones I landed were 14" and 15". Tried for them a few hours this morning but they didn't want to bite, had one mouth a jerkbait but once again failed to take any of the 9 hook shanks. Was an odd weekend because there was a bass tournament and I only saw one guy so much as lose a fish all weekend, so I guess I should consider myself lucky I was able to get those pike. Also very oddly we were bottom bouncing in the bay in 18' murky water and after a rod doubling fight I actually caught a staging steelhead at 26" 7 pounds on a shiner. That fish was a good swim away from any tribs so we kept it and got it smoked. Be back next weekend and hopefully it's calmer so we can troll for staging steelhead.

image.jpg

image.jpg

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
Really been slacking on fishing and posting pics but I finally have something half decent to post. Had the trout itch really bad and luckily my uncle had a spot in NEPA where the water stays high 50s-low 60s year round so figured I would give it a try. Took about an hour to find a hole that held fish but my first fish of the day and my first on my new St croix trout series rod was a nice male native brookie. My best one to date at around 12" and a nice hook jaw. I've been trying to catch one of this size, native, and make for awhile and finally paid off. As for the rest of the day blanked on other natives but hooked close to 20-25 rainbows in around 4 hours of fishing. Found fish in about a 75 yard span of holes and hit that all afternoon.

View attachment 1138424

View attachment 1138425

View attachment 1138426

View attachment 1138427
That's a beautiful looking brookie. Didn't know they develop that hook mouth like salmon do.

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
Yeh, vicius teeth haha. I have gill gripped alot pike and zander. Zander is a bit harder because their is less room in the gill, but pike are not that bad. I think they have about the same teeth as musky. When i do urban fishing, i land all my pike by hand, and im not gonna tell you their are no risks involved. I have gotten one quite deep wound in my little finger, i placed a pike back in the water for release and it instantly swam away, and my littlefinger got stuck. I usually get some small scrapes, but you can use kevlar reinforced gloves coated with rubber, as long as they are thing, still with risk tho. My good friend landed a pike in the gillgrip, with kevlar reinforced gloves and he got a deep wound down hes whole thump, how it happened i dont know, but its 2 months ago and he still doesnt have full movement in hes thump, dont know if theres gonna be permanent damage, its getting better but slowly. He must have had some real sucky kevlar gloves, cause on teeth went straight trough the kevlar reinforced part.

View attachment 1138439
Your buddy should get his thumb looked at. Sounds like nerve or ligament dagame. I severed a nerve on my pinky before and needed surgery to reattach it.

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
Alright weekend in Erie, not a lot of considerably sized fish but still got a couple. Weather was very bad all weekend, especially yesterday with consistent 5-9.5' waves all day according to the weather buoy so we decided to bay fish. I got 22 all weekend and my dad was in the 8-9 range. Most of the catch consisted of small (5-10") Yellow Perch as well as bull Bluegills and Pumpkinseeds (6-8.5"). However I did do somewhat alright on Pike yesterday. Fished jerkbaits and spinnerbaits and went 2 for 5 on smallish northerns. The three that didn't take the hook were all on jerkbaits (which I don't understand because shadow raps have three treble books that i slice myself on every time I touch the lure!) and the two I landed were both on a gold spinnerbait with only one hook that for me has a 100% hook up rate so far. The ones I landed were 14" and 15". Tried for them a few hours this morning but they didn't want to bite, had one mouth a jerkbait but once again failed to take any of the 9 hook shanks. Was an odd weekend because there was a bass tournament and I only saw one guy so much as lose a fish all weekend, so I guess I should consider myself lucky I was able to get those pike. Also very oddly we were bottom bouncing in the bay in 18' murky water and after a rod doubling fight I actually caught a staging steelhead at 26" 7 pounds on a shiner. That fish was a good swim away from any tribs so we kept it and got it smoked. Be back next weekend and hopefully it's calmer so we can troll for staging steelhead.

View attachment 1141089

View attachment 1141090
That's a good steelie. I miss salmon/steelhead fishing. Before I left Cali, salmon fishing was banned due to low returning salmon in the Sac/American Rivers. I have no idea how it is now with the severe drought. I would love to go back home and fish for them again one day.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Was possibly the last weekend boat fishing in erie this year unless we don't do a different lake next weekend (which were planning on) and sadly it was the second worst weekend of the year. Saturday we trolled for staging steelhead at the trib mouths and caught nothing but a large yellow perch, a pair of white perch, and a sub-legal walleye (13") which turned out to be the largest fish of the weekend. The lake got rough so we had to leave early and go bay fish and we only caught six small yellow perch. Sunday it was still rough so we went to walnut creek to see if any steelies were up the creek yet. There were a couple in the larger holes but not many yet. Fished there for about 5 hours up and down the creek and not a fish, lost a ~28"r pretty quick but nothing after that. Water was so low and clear the fish could see us and didn't want to bite. A few guys were catching them but that was it. Stopped at Geneva marsh on the way home for pike and once again left without having caught a fish. Pretty bad weekend honestly and hopefully the next few are better. At least we caught a couple though, better than nothing.

image.jpg

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Lake Michigan was slow. I fished for roughly 30 hours and didn't catch a single fish. Of the six people in the group we landed two fish and kept the legally hooked one.
4lb brownie image.jpeg

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Let me know how they work for you! I love watching the strike videos for them on Underwater Ireland's page :)
Only tryed out the pike one, not the roach but as i feared the pike has a tedency to flip on its side, and not go straight. Fishing wasnt great either but got one fish around 80cm, and had fish that could have been 7 - 10kg jump over 60cm of water 2 meters from, believe it attacked a small roach of something, 2 min later it went for my double bladed size 7 spinner, but didnt hook up.

Heres the one fish i got, on a Savage Gear Real eel 30cm, just a quick pic.

12092549_510717289087011_625514603_n.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Only tryed out the pike one, not the roach but as i feared the pike has a tedency to flip on its side, and not go straight. Fishing wasnt great either but got one fish around 80cm, and had fish that could have been 7 - 10kg jump over 60cm of water 2 meters from, believe it attacked a small roach of something, 2 min later it went for my double bladed size 7 spinner, but didnt hook up.

Heres the one fish i got, on a Savage Gear Real eel 30cm, just a quick pic.

View attachment 1142828
Nice fish! Going musky fishing this Saturday so hopefully I've got some nice ones to report :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store